Fingernails, Drugs and Mum's [5]

"Emma?"

"Yope?" I responded.

"What are you doing down there?"

I couldn't tell whose voice it was because of the rush of students running passed, trying to get to their class on time.

"I'm hiding." I responded simply.

"Hiding?" I could work out the voice now, it was Brooke Fultor. She was my lab partner back in the good old days, also known as last year. She was best friends with Chelsea Manning. The two of them were like two peas in a pod which made me suprised when I realised Chelsea wasn't here.

"Yope, hiding."

"Okay... Do you- erm- do you need help or something?" She asked, confusion clear in her tone.

"Nope. Just felt like chillin' here, hiding from students. That sounds about right." I moved a little bit closer so I could see her more clearly. I was currently under one of the tables outside the girls toilets.

"You sure you okay?"

"Yope."

"Well I'm gonna head to class.. English with Mr. Smith. Do you want me to tell him your gonna be late?"

"Nope."

"Erm- okay, well seeya I guess." She stuttered and tripped a little trying to get to class. I probably creeped Brooke out. Mwahaha...

I sighed and looked at my finger nails. I really felt the craving to nibble on one nail, but mum would notice and go ape. Whenever I felt the need and gave in to the temptation, she was always there. It was beyond creepy.

But, I thought to myself, It's not like shes here right now...

 I narrowed my eyes and slowly brought my short fingernail to my lips. 

"Emma?!" The familar voice broke my thoughts.

My eyes widened in horror... "Mum?"

Oh, did I forget to mention my mum worked at the school? Yeah... Guess that's kind of important....

***

And that is why, at this moment, I am sitting in the backseat of my mum's car. She was currently lecturing me about skipping class and also biting my finger nails.

"Em, is there something going on? Like drugs or boys-" She started, but was immediately interrupted by me once I realised what she was thinking.

"Baha! No mum, don't worry. I'm not a druggie..." I looked over at her. She wasn't covinced.

"Are you sure? Because you've been acting a bit stranger than usual. I mean another block of chocolate is missing. I think somethings up. So it's either drugs or boys." She finished, looking over at me.

"Mum?"

"Yes, Em?"

"I'm not on drugs."

She sighed and ran a hand through her blonde, long hair. "That doesn't explain the chocolate..." She trailed off.

I gave her a look and she laughed a hearty laugh, "Right. That's just your right?"

"Yope." I grinned at her and she scruffled my hair. I slapped her hands away and turned to her.

"How's the boyfee?" I joked, refering to my dad. Her mood immediately darkened.

"He's not coming home again. He's got work." We both sighed in onison and I leaned on her shoulder.

"So why did you ditch?" She questioned suddenly. I froze.

"Erm- I didn't feel well, hence hiding under the desk." Yes, I know it didn't make sence as to why I would be hiding under the desk because I wasn't feeling 100% but I never claimed to be Kaya Scodelario.

She gave me a flat look but didn't say anything more.

"So you want to go home?" I shrugged and she started the car.

"Oh oh oh! I luuuuuurve this song!" I exclaimed, a wide grin marking my face.

"When your happy like a fooooooooool

Let it take you over,

When everything is out you gotta take it in.

Oh this has gotta be the good life!

This has gotta be a good life

This could be a really good life, good life."

My mum sang along with me for the rest of the ride home, totally off key and mumbling a majority of the parts we didn't know.

**

Uber short, I know and I apologise deeply ): But I just wanted you to see what her family life is like. Next chapter will be waaay longer but I can't guarentee that will be uploaded soon. I have no idea when this will end so I'll spend the rest of the weekend not only completing my homework and assignments but also setting out a story board/line for what will happen (: Many thanks for reading, - SeeTheSunlight