Prologue

The view over the world's edge was serene, and only spoiled by the blurred vision of his swollen left eye. He shook, enjoying the tingle rising through his leg, and watched as the arch of tea-coloured urine dropped out of view.

Clouds broke against the cliff-face beneath the lone figure's feet like silent waves. The white disc of the sun cast his shadow back towards the outskirts of the city as he stared up into the clear blue canvas of the sky.  

The breeze tugged at his weathered coat as if to pull him back inland. His tattered scarf threatened to fall from his shoulders and he tightened it without thought. When he pulled his hands away, flakes of dried blood came with them, and he began to feel the pains of his face once more.

His nose had stopped bleeding, which was nice. Two crisping runs of crimson snaked their way from his nostrils and ran down his neck, adding yet more stains to his shirt. He didn't care. No one will be judging him on appearance where he'd be going.

He took a deliberate, if not small, step towards the unprotected edge. Brave blades of faded grass leaned over the end of the earth to stare down at the clouds. He followed their gaze, and his already tested blood supply left the vicinity of his face.

Trying to relax, he instinctively placed his hands into his pockets. One hand caressed the skin of his leg, and the other remained on the outside of his trousers wearing the opening to the pocket as a bracelet.

He sighed, untangling himself from the evidence of his most recent embarrassment, and stepped over the edge with both eyes closed.