Ten

Hopper felt the creature disappear from beside him before he ever saw the glistening fur dropping out of view. His initial surprise was soon outshone by a much more unforeseen turn of events as he felt the winds pulling at his cheeks. The street below seemed angry and unforgiving as it barrelled up to meet him.

He realised he'd jumped from the tower around the moment he laid hands on the creature. It had flattened out, catching the wind in its skin to slow its fall and showed no signs of panic nor understanding of their predicament.

Holding on to it like a drowning man may grab to a floating log, he watched in horrifying slow motion as the floors of the dilapidated tower grew higher into the sky. He tucked into a ball, and without realising he cradled the creature against his stomach as he fell butt first towards the stone street.

He cursed as they plummeted with memories of the Despian he'd left hanging over the Edge running though his mind. He was all too ready to take the plunge yesterday, so what did he find so terrifying now.

The first attack came from a washing line which snapped like a whip across his back as it broke under their fall. The impact tucked them into a roll which cannonballed them through a weathered sun shade above a flimsy wooden balcony. They were both dragged down to the earth with Hopper as the snowballing mass of rotting wood and babbling human reached the ground.

The final victim of their fall was a poorly situated mule. It was chewing on some hay, enjoying the rare shaded moment as its master went about his business. The mounds of fabrics strapped to its back was manageable. As far as it was concerned it had a good life. So when it raised an ear to the symphony of destruction over head, one can take solace in the fact its last thought was a happy one.

Splinters, torn fabric and enough blood to fill a mule exploded from the store front. People screamed and ran in all directions, guards were called for, and Hopper found himself staring dead-eyed up towards the sky. Three crows squawked as they flew into his room back atop the tower.

A crowd gathered as the dust settled. Concerned whispers grew into bewildered conversations as they debated what life choices would lead to such an outcome. The crowd hushed into silence as something moved under the bundled, blood stained debris upon the man's chest.

The crowd released an almost orchestral cooing as the tiny golden creature emerged from the rubble with a tentative shake of its head. Questions about what the creature was began to flick amongst the onlookers as the now mule-less merchant broke from the throng of people and began to shout.

"What kind of selfish, piss-ant of a waster throws himself into a busy street!" He punctuated this by raising his leg, readying himself to kick the lifeless figure laying atop the mule.

Large emerald eyes met his, and the leg dropped like a dead weight.

"What the hell are you?" The merchant asked, bending down at the knees to get a better look.

The creature sniffed the air before him and turned to look at Hopper. It began to rub against his chin, stopping momentarily to watch for any signs of movement.

"He's dun' for," the merchant said, almost apologetically.

He reached out an plucked the creature from its perch. Stubby arms and legs struggled for purchase and clawed at Hopper's chest as it squeaked refusals at its new handler. Hopper's arm shot out like a python and gripped the merchant's wrist.

"That's no-" the monotone statement was cut short by an aggressive onslaught of coughing which rendered Hopper useless.

"I'm taking it as payment," the merchant said matter-of-factly, "And you're lucky that's all I'm taking."