Grins, smirks, and subtle lip-lifting.

No genuine smiles were ever thrown out.

That kind of made her saddened and disappointed, and that caused her mind twist back around. Yes, Elsie Abernathy fancied him, and her heart fluttered even thinking about him. That caused her face to cringe, but not in a disgusted way. No, it was in a knowing way. If her feelings never left, what would become of them? Stuttering when he was near? Red-tinted cheeks? Constant fear of not looking good enough? She hated the thought!

Why, out of all people, had her heart lurched towards an attractive dead guy?

Sophie had given up, sitting back and crossing her small arms over her chest. She just couldn't get it right! Elsie didn't even notice, she was so lost in her thoughts. But then the 2-year old started tugging at her own hair, and only then did the older girl in the room hear her baby cousin's complaints.

"Y'know," El started, bending over to  throw her hair into the usual bun, "I think your hair would look good up, as well, my fairy queen."

The blondie started to bounce, giggling in excitement. And, for the next 5 minutes, her hair was easily brushed through and put up into a high ponytail. Elsie thought it'd go best with the plaid jumper dress, glad Soph had a pair of tights and a long sleeve to go under. It's still cold outside, even though the warmth is trying to peep through unnoticeably, and that is why the 17-year old is wearing what she is.

She was iffy about even going, because she knew barely anyone in this town, but her aunt had convinced her. So, she decided on a simple sweater the color of sweet cream, matching it with regular jeans and some combat boots. It was decent enough for a get-together for Valentines Day, she hoped.

"You girls coming?" Her aunt hollered from the living room, already bugging her son to put on a coat.

"Yep!" Elsie called back, scooping her little cousin up with ease, placing the small girl on her hip. With the giggle that escaped Sophie's lips, her carrier was making her way to the front door, sloppily putting earmuffs on the toddler's ears. Not shortly after, they all piled into Ms. Bennett's car, chatting about the food or what gift they might get from the party hostess. Last year, Jamie told Elsie, Mrs. Griffin (Caleb and Claude's mother) gave them a box of chocolates to take home. El was listening, but at the same time, she was not.

Her eyes were focused on the outside décor of light snow, but her ears were focused on her cousin's suspicions about what they could get this time.

Her head was nodding to what he was saying, but her mind was shaking side to side as her thoughts jumbled together.

Yes, she was listening to Jamie, but not comprehending.

The scenery reminded her of a couple days ago, when Jack had visited and, with only one point to the sky, made it snow in her cousin's backyard. His arm was around her shoulders, his cool cheek rubbing against her hair when she tilted her head to see what was happening. Her hands were still latched onto his wrist from trying to pry it off, but then her fingers relaxed and brushed the soft material of his hoodie. Her mouth parted slightly in awe at how brilliant it looked, and Jack would be smirking proudly if it weren't for the weird urge that popped into his mind. Elsie felt his eyes on her, but tried to pay no attention to it as she danced with her cousins in the snow.

That moment couldn't have ended any earlier.

He just took off, with a "I've.. got to go," and then he was gone.

And that hurt El more than it should have.

Yes, she was listening to Jamie, but not comprehending. She was thinking about Jack.

And Jack was thinking about her.

He couldn't not think about her. She's all that's been on his mind. He's been distracted and legitimately can not function correctly. After realizing what all the jitters were, he flew anywhere but there. Jack, unlike Elsie, hadn't given up on rejecting every feeling he's gotten. He can't believe he would ever fall for someone, and especially for an alive human being that thrives, has a real life, a bright future and a beautiful ending. He'll never get a beautiful ending, because he's immortal. He doesn't know what to do with his future because it's not up to him. To him, his life isn't even a real one that just anyone could live.

The fact that Jack has a mysterious catch in his life that he never knew was what made him special. He didn't see that, though. He just saw a spirit that protects fun (which really isn't all that hard) and provides another season of the year. He didn't think he would be allowed to like someone like Elsie, who definitely has a great future and Jack can't see himself in it. At least, he doesn't need to. He wants to, and he hates that.

He also hates how she attracts him to her in any way possible.

And how she makes him feel dizzy and stupid.

And how she has a small dimple on her right cheek that he wants to kiss continuously.

And how she makes him wonder what her hair would look like down. He swears it'd be beautiful.

It all drives him crazy, and he especially hates how that's even possible.

I've only actually hung out with her for, what, 3 days? He rolled his eyes, stuffing his left hand in his pocket. He used his other to guide his staff along the small pond he found himself at in times of boredom, glad this little place was near the back of Tooth's palace. It was one of those hidden locations that don't get enough attention. He was supposed to help collect teeth, but he knew as well as Tooth that it was to keep him busy. They didn't need his help. He just had nothing to do but cause chaos with ice and snow, but he couldn't bring himself to do that. With the way he's been thinking, it's almost impossible.

"Never thought I'd see you like this."

Jack turned around quickly, relaxing upon seeing that it was Tooth perched on a rock. She was studying him with a small smile, her pink eyes glittering like usual. This time, though, it had a knowing look. He cleared his throat and mustered up a chuckle, "Uh, what do you mean?"

Her feathers fluttered as she flew over, circling him in a curious way. He just watched her nervously, not having any clue to what she was doing.

"You know," Tooth started, coming to a stop right in front of him, "You know what I mean. I can see it."

Jack continued to stare at her in confusion, causing the Tooth Fairy to let out an annoyed sigh.

"It's in your eyes, Jack! Righhht there!" She pointed her dainty finger in his face, making him step back in surprise. "It's a sparkle! You know what that means, don't you?"

By now, the frozen 300-year old boy had no clue what she was taking about, but at the same time, he had a theory. He didn't want anyone knowing about his sudden feelings that sprouted from a couple meetings with a girl.

"Ugh," Tooth huffed, running a hand down her face, "Why do I even bother?"

And she left. She left him with a horrible gut feeling, one that he's been pushing back and rejecting. It returned, just at the thought of Elsie Abernathy, the naturally beautiful cousin of Jamie Bennett, the girl that will keep on making him crazy for her no matter what he does. He tried to get it out, but it seems like the emotion that has been given to him has now buried itself inside Jack's heart. It won't leave, no matter how much he begs it to. It won't even get discouraged, no matter how many times he's tried to make up excuses.

And he hates that. 

Jack and Elsie.

Elsie and Jack.

They were tied together, no matter how many times the two wanted to deny it.