Chapter Seven: Effie

Several weeks have goneby since Haymitch's proposal and I have never felt happier. I haveplanned every detail of the wedding and now, we're merly a few hoursaway. Tigris has designed all the outfits, including my bridal gown,which I haven't seen yet. She said it would be a surprise. I'm pacingin the room nervously and my hands are shaking. "Calm down, Effie.You're gonna look amazing. Like you always do.", Katniss says andsits down on the small couch. "Don't sit down or you'll wrikle yourdress!", I say and pull her back on her feet by her wrists. Shegives me a look and I shake my head. "I'm sorry. I'm just sonervous.", I explain and she gives me a hug. "Don't worry, Effie.Everything is going to go as planned and you will be the mostbeautiful bride. Just remember, chins up, smiles on.", she mimicsmy voice and makes me laugh. She is one of my bride's maids and shelooks so gorgeous in her long, golden, silk dress. Finally, Tigrisarrives with my dress and as soon as she reveals it, I am lost forwords. It's a beautiful, white gown with hints of gold and yellow.She even added tiny lights to make the dress look like it's glowing.The top is rather tight and the dress extends towards the bottom. Sheeven made a matching headpiece out of golden wire. "Oh Tigris, thisis so beautiful!", I whisper and carefully run my fingers over thefabric. "Don't cry or you'll mess up your makeup.", she remindsme. "Oh, right.", I whisper and take a few deep breaths."Haymitch is gonna love it.", Katniss says and then leaves tocheck on him. He asked Peeta to be his best man. He couldn't havemade a better decision. I am so glad that they are all here with us.All those, who I hold dear. Cressida even agreed to film our weddingin the Capitol. Our wedding in District 12 has more of a symbolicmeaning. Only very few people will be there, the one's we call ourclosest friends. Today, everyone's here. Literally. It's quite theevent. Everyone has been talking about it for weeks. Tigris helps meinto the dress and then braids my hair back into a bun before sheadds the headpiece. After she's finished, I look at myself in themirror and inhale deeply. "Wow...", nothing more escapes my lipsbecause I don't know what to say. Tigris smiles at me and thenKatniss comes back into the room. Her recation says it all. Her mouthdrops open and her eyes widen. "Oh my God, Effie! You look sobeautiful.", she says and then comes closer to get a better look.She gently caresses my face and then smiles at me. "I get it now,why Haymitch calls you his, 'Sunshine'. You look like you justdecended from the sky. Like a ray of sunlight.", she says. "Thankyou, Katniss.", I feel the tears stinging my eyes again and takeanother deep breath. "No crying. No crying.", I say to myself andthen Tigris hands me the flowers. Sunflowers. They were always myfavorite. "Are you ready?", Katniss asks and I smile at her. "Ialways was.", I reply and give the man by the door a sign to signalthe band to start playing the music. Soft violins start to play as Iwalk out into the garden of the presidential palace and everyonerises from their seats. I step onto the stairs and see him smilingback at me. All the way down the aisle, his face lights up and Ismile back at him. All eyes are on me, but I only see him. HaymitchAbernathy, the love of my life, is waiting for me to be his wife. AndI couldn't be more ready to say, "Yes, I do".