Chapter Eight

Christmas Day

St Joseph's Church at Ashton-on-Sea was beautifully lit that morning. A myriad of candles burned in every candelabra, casting a merry yellow light on the colourful hand sewn silk pennants that hung from the walls.

Laura wore her warmest wool dress in a deep red. It was a festive colour which matched her mood. On her coat was a lovely gold-enamelled brooch, a gift from her father.

Reverend Harman delivered the sermon from the Book of Isaiah:

For unto us a Child is born,

Unto us a Son is given;

And the government will be upon His shoulder.

And His name will be called

Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God

The choir took up the theme with excerpts from Handel's Messiah which they had been rehearsing since September.

Laura listened proudly to her father's rich tenor. He looked wonderful in his choir robes of scarlet red and white.

As the recital continued, Laura shivered at a small rush of cold air from the doorway as latecomers joined them.

Not very surprising, she thought, not glancing back but enraptured by the candle-lit choir. Summer might bring the sun worshippers looking to take a rest cure by the sea, but Christmas brought the pilgrims looking to capture a moment of spiritual connection, no matter how tenuously arrived at.

The choir did not disappoint with its recital, nor Reverend Harman when he stepped forward and read Blake's poem, the one adopted for St Joseph's Rock.

And did those feet in ancient time

Walk upon England's mountains green?

And was the holy Lamb of God

On England's pleasant pastures seen?

As the congregation stood together to sing Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, Laura could not help but think of Blackwell's brigands during the opening verse and she wished them reconciled.

And, outside after the service, she looked across to the lighthouse, its tall whitewashed tower gleaming in the winter sun. The tides favoured them today. It would be hours before they needed to consider a homeward journey.

Laura spotted a familiar face and rushed towards him.

"Dickie! Congratulations, I'm so glad you proposed." Laura hugged Dickie, then Kitty, a pretty little blonde girl, the daughter of the local tailor who was receiving well wishes from everyone in the parish.

Even Mr Fletcher who was normally so gruff with his assistant stood beaming with avuncular pride.

"Tell me, Laura," said Kitty, "who is your father talking to?"

"I'm not sure," she admitted. The man must have been among their latecomers but he had his back to her.

He was dressed in the uniform of a naval Commander – crisp white breeches topped by a rich navy blue coat trimmed with gold braiding and buttons on the sleeves. A single gold epaulette sat on the left shoulder.

Then, for the first time, she noticed the other smartly dressed naval officers amongthe congregation. She looked for a lieutenant's uniform and found it. Its wearer was talking to the reverend's wife.

Laura turned away.

It wasn't him.

"Laura!"

Disappointment dampened her cheer but she forced a smile and turned to her father's call.

"There is someone who is very keen to renew acquaintances."

The commander turned and she found herself face to face with the man who filled her dreams and the pages of her diary.

"Miss Winter, a great pleasure to see you again."

His warm and ready smile faltered for a moment before Laura realised she hadn't returned his greeting but was simply staring at him open-mouthed.

She recovered herself.

"The pleasure is mine, Commander."

To her surprise, he blushed and his smile turned shy.

"My commission is only a week old. I'm still not used to hearing it," he admitted.

"With your father's permission, would you care to take a walk, Miss Winter?"

To Laura's mind, her father gave his permission with too much enthusiasm, even excusing himself before she could accept the offer herself.

Renten offered his arm and she took it and they strolled toward the Strand.

The quayside no longer bore evidence of the storm but was now home to three new ships she didn't recognise – a fine single-masted cutter, an elegant sloop and a smaller boat better suited for navigating the shallow inlets along the coast.

"We arrived just as the service was beginning. I came straight to the church," he said.

He told her that after Blackwell's capture, due in no short measure to her and her father, he was promoted.

"I asked to take a brand new posting, right here," he said.

"How long has my father known?"

"A week, possibly two. I wrote to ask permission to court you when I learned of my promotion. Why?"

He paused and grinned as the answer came to him.

"He never told you did he?"

"He did not! The sneak."

"Disappointed?"

"Never," she said sincerely.

Laura stepped closer.

She could feel his warmth and she placed both hands in his and squeezed them gently.

He raised her hand to his lips and kissed it.

"In fact," she said, "It is a Christmas wish come true."

Then let us all rejoice again,

On Christmas Day, on Christmas Day;

Then let us all rejoice again,

On Christmas Day in the morning.