Chapter 4: Nothing But the Best

Once we're both dressed, Lyle invites me inside to order breakfast. His bed is still unmade, the curtains remain drawn, and he looks less flawless than I'm used to seeing him. He has a few beauty marks on his neck and his hair is completely disheveled. His skin looks pretty dry, too. These may seem like normal, everyday male skin flaws, but not for Lyle Kingston. He actually looks, dare I say it, human.

"Have whatever you fancy," he instructs me, handing me a hotel menu. I flip to the breakfast panel and my eyes widen at the selection. He snorts and I glance at him with concern.

"What?" I demand as he snickers a little, studying his menu. What could be so funny about his menu? I flip through mine and see nothing that would cause me to even chuckle.

"Nothing, you're weird, keep looking." he states then, suddenly serious, but his eyes sparkle with amusement. Again, I'm the weirdo? When was the last time this guy looked in a mirror? Couldn't have been long ago I'm sure.

Rolling my eyes I sigh and look back to my menu, soon enough something catches my eye. It looks like ice cream or something, with fried apples and an orange wedge...type...thing. Anyway, it at least looks familiar so I decide I'll have that. I can't find the name, so I mark the picture and wait for Lyle to make his decision. He's looking everything over with great care and I wonder if either he's never had these things or he's had everything and can't decide what's best. I'll bet on the latter.

"You done already?" He questions in muted amazement, not looking up from the selection. This dude seriously has a problem with making decisions doesn't he. Smirking to myself I add this to another thing I've learned about Lyle Kingston that you can't read about in the tabloids.

"It wasn't that hard, I went with the first thing that caught my eye," I answer matter-of-factly and he looks up to me with something along the lines of wonder gleaming in his eyes.

"If only it were always that simple," he mutters, then goes back to his search.

I think on his words and debate their accuracy. There are a lot of situations where it could apply. Love at first sight. Clothes shopping. Even looking for colleges. Then on the other hand there are times where you have to do a little more research like buying a house, choosing a career, or even having a drink with a cute guy you met at the bar. They all could end catastrophically if not considered carefully.

"Alright," he states triumphantly, "I've got it, let's order, I'm starved." Maybe if you didn't take so long to order, you could be eating already. I think of saying this, but choose to be kind for a change.

He reaches over me excitedly, snagging the phone from his bedside table. I try not to react to the close proximity, but all my muscles tense up and the breath catches in my throat. At least I don't do anything stupid like throw myself at him like your average run of the mill fan-girl. He doesn't notice thankfully and as he pulls away my body relaxes so I can breathe easy. He tells the person what he'll have then looks to me.

I point at the picture and he nods, telling the man the name. I didn't catch it though since I'm distracted by a knock on the door which causes me to freeze. He hangs up quickly and goes to answer it. I place the phone back on the table and adjust my shirt to be sure I'm covered up, not caring strangely until now. Sitting up straight I try to appear busy as he opens the door. I fluff pillows aimlessly and only glance over as I hear a greeting from Lyle,

"George," he says to the tall, well preened man who waltzes in. He sees me and freezes, eyes widening dramatically and he looks back to Lyle urgently.

"Lyle, darling, you didn't tell me you had, um, company," and he motions his head toward me. I don't even care to know what this guy is thinking of me and Lyle. He's extremely well dressed though and the way he calls Lyle "darling" tells me something about what team he's batting for. I don't like to jump to conclusions though so I'll hold my tongue.