Prologue

So it begins :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Third Person POV:

April 6th, 2013

The soft rays of light hit the oak wood floors of the small cabin. They crawled up the pastel blue walls and soon the bright rays shown on the face of a young girl, her name was Samantha Cortez. Long black hair fanned around her sleeping figure and the sun's rays highlighted every part of her olive skinned face.

She had a content smile on her rosy lips. Soon the warmth of the sun woke her up, and caused her to snap her brown eyes wide open. She sat up and heaved a sigh. As she ran her hands through her hair, she made it resemble a tidal wave. Smacking her lips, she pulled up the green flannel sleeves of her pajamas and jumped out of bed.

She stepped over some clothes on the floor and rubbed her eyes while trying to make her way to her desk. She picked up a sharpie and scratched the date.

She walked away but then paused. Looking down at her black painted fingernails and counting them. She turned back and tried to read the month. Squinting at the letters as they swirled around, and they finally formed the word, April.

She gasped and jumped up and down in excitement.
It was her birthday!
~

Joseph Cortez really wished that parenting came with a how-to-guide because he wanted to know how he can cope with the fact that his daughter was already past being a teenager. Next thing you know, she'll be driving  a car and moving out to college.

He furrowed his brow when he realized that with her condition she might not go to college.

He looked at the time, it was 10:56.

"SAM! ARE YOU UP YET?!"

"NO, I'M SLEEPING!"

He smiled at his daughter's sarcasm, and flipped a pancake.

Looking at all the pictures on the window sill, he saw one of his baby girl taking her first steps, and her giving a toothy smile towards the camera.

He ran a hand through his curly black hair, and pursed his lips  before glancing over at a picture that sat on a mantle just over then fireplace.

Sam was only 2 when they took this picture, and her hair was held up in two little pigtails that slightly curled at the ends. Sam's mother was a ravishing woman. She had short chocolate colored hair that was cut off near her chin. Her eyes were a fierce amber that looked like they blazed with fire, and her face had an exotic touch that you never saw in America. She was holding Sam and was smiling  beautifully. Joseph was on the picture as well, but he was the only one not looking at the camera.

He smiled at the words he said to his wife while she noticed this.

"Joseph why didn't you look at the camera? Well, I guess we'll have to take anoth-"

"I didn't want to look at the camera."

"Why not? "

"Because I only have my eyes set on you."

He remembered the way she looked at him with her amber eyes glowing at him with love.