Chapter 2

She opened it completely and her eyes widened then she created evil slits with her eyelids. She stumbled to her feet and turned towards me. "Well, well, well. Thought you could hide it from me, didn't you? Well, that's not happening. You are going and become who you really are."

"I ain't who you want me to be and they ain't gonna change me!" I yelled in her face and gripped Regan's wrist with more pressure than I should of. She was somewhat used to my tight grip, but she was still fragile and easily injured. "Come on, Regan! Go! Go! Go!" I yell as I drag her behind me running up the stairs to our rooms. I heard pounding footsteps behind us so I quickened pace only to have something snag on my short's leg.

"Come on! Bethany!" Regan called as she was a few steps in front of me.

"No! Go on without me. Go to your room and lock it and put a chair under the door handle. I'll take care of mom. Now go!" I yelled at her shooing her away with my hand. Her eyes widened and she backed away fleeing to her room. I pulled on the shorts trying to get it off the nail that was sticking a good length out of the wall.

I tugged and tugged, but it wouldn't come off. My shorts eventually ripped leaving an inch gash on my thigh. The footsteps behind me were getting closer and closer, but I broke out into a run and slammed my door to my room shut. "Bethany! Open this door right now!" My mom yelled from outside my door.

"Never! Now go get drunk!" I yelled back. I locked both locks on my door and brought a metal chair from my wall and placed it under the door handle.

"I won't get drunk until you let me in!"

"I ain't doin' that! Now go away!"

"Fine! Go ahead and starve!" she screamed at me through the door before her pounding footsteps stormed off.

I deep sighed and slid down on the wall so I'm sitting on the wall, but once I try to get back up I fell straight back down. I felt an excruciating pain in my thigh and then I remembered I had a gash from the nail.

I slowly got up and I limped my way to my Bermuda Triangle and opened it up slowly.

(aka: Bermuda Triangle is my closet.)

I had no clue what came in since nothing came out, even the light that's supposed to be in there doesn't work. I was the only person who could go in and come out alive. Literally, it's that bad.

Anyway, I closed the door behind me and slipped straight to the ground. I felt my way around and soon enough I found what I was looking for. The secret, tiny door in the back of the walk in closet. I turned the knob and entered the tiny hallway leading to Regan's closet door. She knows about her tiny door, but doesn't use it since she knows exactly where it leads to.

I decorated the hallway with drawings on the wall and tiny lanterns hanging up on the very top corners of the not-so-white-anymore walls. I hid a chest in the center of the hallway that was filled with candies and a six pack of Root Beer. I grabbed a couple and headed back to Regan's room.

Once I got to the tiny door to her room, I laid on my back and buck kicked the door open.

Because opening the knob is too mainstream.

I crawled out into her green and blue designed closet then got up and opened her door. I saw her lying face down on her bed, crying. I limped over to her and I barely laid my hand on her shoulder before she shot up and almost knocked my head off all the way to Kingdom Come. "Bethany? Bethany!" she sniffled as she threw her arms around my neck and death hugged me. "I thought mom got you."

"Well, ya know, I can get away from her. Why you cryin'?" I ask wiping some fallen tears off her cheeks.

"I didn't know what mama was going to do to you. You've got on her nerves enough times so there's no telling what could've happened."

"Hey, look at me." she tilted her head up to me. "I'm fine, I'm alive, and I brought food."

"You always find the good in everything. No matter how deadly it could be. You'll always protect me." She hugged me once more and a bit longer.

Did I really always protect her? I mean, like, I always try, at least. I can't keep her safe forever. She needs to learn to keep herself safe, but I really don't just want to let her go just yet. She's only two years younger than me. How can I keep protecting her when she doesn't usually leave the house.

She pulled back and grinned from ear to ear. I smiled slightly, but enough to convince her that I was happy, well, to her perspective I was. We needed to get out of here, but we had no where to go. Dad lived all the way in California and we had no way of getting there. Well, there was a way, but there ain't no way I'm getting on the plane and flying out there to go to princess lessons. I shivered at the thought.

"Regan, we need to leave. Get out of here."

"I know, but we don't know where to go. Dad's in California and we don't-." she stopped in the dead middle of the sentence. I think she thought of the idea of princess lessons. Dear Lord, help us. "I know where we can go!" she exclaimed.

'Please don't say princess lessons, please don't say princess lessons.' I repeated over and over in my head.

"The princess lessons!" she yells in excitement.

'Oh dear Lord, kill me now!' I think.