Goodbye | Newt

Warning:
Death Cure Spoilers.
Feels.

The following people are not immune. Newt...

The words echoed in my mind, it felt like a bad dream, it couldn't be real.
I listened to his steady heart beat as he slept in the berg. We decided to rest before going into the city. Newt acted as if he didn't care that he wasn't immune, but it felt as if my soul had shattered into a million peices.

"It's okay, love." He kissed my forehead after his name had been called. I closed my eyes and buried my face in his chest as he wrapped his arms around me. I tried to get a hold of myself, not to cry. Not here. I stepped back and took my place beside him.

"Tommy, slim yourself. " I heard Newt say. I glanced at Thomas who looked just as distraught as I felt.

"Slim myself? " Thomas started, " that old shank just said you're not immune to the Flare. How can you-"

"I'm not worried about the bloody flare, man." Newt said with a smile.

■■

"Just take care of yourself. " I held his hand before we left the berg.

"You take care of yourself. " Newt smiled at me.

"I can stay." I said.

"No, you need to get that bloody device out of your pretty little head." He smiled and kissed my lips softly, he broke, leaning his forehead against mine and smiling.

"See you soon." I tried to smile, feeling horrible for having to leave him behind. I walked the platform of the berg to meet with Thomas,  Minho, Brenda,  and Jorge.

"Bring her back to me, Tommy" I hears Newt yell from the berg, "Not one scratch!"

■■■

It's been days. I rushed with Minho to the berg.

"Hurry up and open it." Minho told Jorge as he pulled out a control pad. The ramp opened and my heart sank,  expecting Newt to greet us with that smile of his.

I raced with Minho inside.

"Newt!" I called out to the darkness. I heard the guys calling his name as well, I followed Minho as he picked up a scrap of paper.

"Newt?" I called again.

"Y/n." Minho said blankly.

"What?" I asked him, he didn't respond.  I walked to him and he handed the paper to me.

They got inside some how. They're taking me to live with other Cranks.
It's for the best. 
Thanks for being my friends.
I love you y/n
Goodbye.

The words refused to register, I flipped the paper over: nothing. I read it again and again, faintly hearing voices.

"What's wrong?" Thomas' voice sounded beside me.

I couldn't speak, I held out the paper to him just as Minho handed it to me. I blinked, feeling my eyes water. 

"Newt." Thomas said soflty.