Five

Dec 2002

Brandon

The next time I met Jessica, it was like a scene out of movie. It was my day off and I was searching through the CDs in the music store, just looking for something new, when I looked further up the aisle to see Jessica doing the same, totally oblivious to me with her ear buds in. I felt a jolt to my insides when I saw her standing, wearing very wide denim flares and a green army style jacket. Her blonde hair was tied back with her messy fringe, sitting aside either eyebrow as it was too long. I noticed she kept pushing it out of the way.

"Hi Jessica," I said as I touched her shoulder lightly to get her attention away from the music blaring in her ears. I felt my nerves wash over me as she turned to look at me. I watched the recognition come over her face as she pulled the ear phones out of her ears and smiled.

"Hey!" She said brightly grinning at me, but I could see by the colour of her cheeks she was embarrassed.

"How are you?" I asked, feeling myself beginning to bounce lightly on my toes, trying not to linger on her blue eyes.

"I'm good, just spending some birthday and Christmas money," she said biting on her top lip and moving her bangs aside, "How are you? I hear your band are still doing well,"

"Yeah," I giggled nervously, "Sorry, I should have said happy birthday and Merry Christmas," I said with a louder laugh than I had meant.

"No, it's fine, you know, they are both passed now, so..." she looked down at her converse boots, almost hidden completely by her flared jeans, "I should apologise really for the whole boxing day thing at Ceasar's palace last year," she said raising her head up and pinning me with a vulnerable stare.

"No, no," I said trying to speak, "don't apologise, I understand completely, family stuff," I smiled, wishing I could really talk to her, without feeling awkward. Jessica smiled flatly, nodding her head at me.

"Do you want to get a coffee or something?" she asked and my heart leapt, "I mean, if you can or if you are busy, it's fine," she said anxiously.

"Sure, but let's not go to Cafe Roma," I said, thinking about my usual hangout and how people would know both of us, "there is a starbucks further up the street if you fancy it?"

"Great!" She said with a grin and a giggle, taking her earphones and wrapping them up over fingers. We walked together out of the music store and out into the busy street. We were silent as we weaved through the crowds of post Christmas sale shoppers. I smiled at her as I held the Starbucks door open for her. I caught a whiff of her sweet perfume as she moved past me into the coffee shop, making my internal butterflies take flight.

Jessica

I had been caught between wanting the ground to swallow me up and delighted at the sight of Brandon in the music store. I had been feeling trapped at home and so I had escaped on a small solitary shopping trip to spend some birthday money. It seemed like because I was away from home in New York most of the time that when i came home my parents put a tight leash on me. I was so happy to see Brandon, but also mortified, because of what didn't happen between us a year ago. I felt excited and nervous as we walked along the street, my heart racing at the thought of being completely alone with him, no pressure and no hiding from those around us.

"What would like?" Brandon asked me as we both eyed the chalkboard to see what was on offer.

"I'll go for a hot chocolate," I said looking around for a seat, praying for a secluded spot. I saw a booth further back in the cafe and smiled. "I'll grab that booth," I said, allowing myself to look into his eyes properly, making my insides tremble.