Chapter 5: I'm Setting You Free, Elena

It was 7 A.M., and Damon was staring at the ceiling while Elena's naked body was pressed up against him, her head resting on his bare chest and her arm draped over him protectively. He could hear her soft breathing. He smiled when she shifted closer to him, twining one of her legs between his. His heart broke a little when she whispered that she loved him in her sleep because he had to wake her up soon and tell her to leave him. Both his arms were folded behind his head. He knew that if he touched her warm skin for a second longer, he'd lose it. Still, she was all over him – sleeping peacefully, sporadically saying how much she loved Damon aloud as she dreamt. He didn't know if he could take anymore of it, only because he wouldn't hear it for an indefinite amount of time after today. He tried to hold on to the hope that Elena would defy all laws of magic.

Damon thought back to what the witch had told him just before he was about to leave – at that point, Stefan had left the room. If you do all I say, Damon, and she still wants you, then she loved you all along. Damon remembered how he had sucked in a breath and asked about the sire bond. The sire bond would have broken the minute you will have told her to leave and forget about you – if she still remembers and loves you, her love for you would have been there long before she became a vampire. Just don't forget that, Damon.

Just then, Elena shifted in Damon's arms and awoke. She stretched her legs and rolled onto Damon and smiled, "Mmm, good morning."

Damon couldn't help but chuckle when Elena kissed his neck, "You know we can't, 'Lena."

"But, Damonnnn," Elena whined playfully, teasing him. She was trying to cheer him up. She was well aware of the fact that his mind was racing. She just wanted him to relax.

Damon laughed at her silliness and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, "You're so gorgeous, my Elena." He smiled when she kissed him and whispered that so was he.

They spent just a few more minutes taking each other in, for what Damon seemed to think would be the last time in a long time. Elena was much more confident. She knew that with every fibre in her being, she truly loved Damon. This sire bond didn't stand a chance against Elena Gilbert. Just watch, she thought. An hour later they were both dressed and standing outside the lake house. Bonnie was in the car waiting for Elena. Jeremy was standing at the doorway after saying goodbye to Elena.

"Well," Damon sighed, shutting the trunk after putting Elena's bags inside, "I guess this is it." He shoved his hands in his pockets nervously, not wanting to say the words.

"It's okay, Damon," Elena reassured him by putting her hands on either side of his face, "I'll come back to you. Believe that."

Damon took a deep breath and nodded. He held Elena's hands for a second and then stepped back and said, "Elena, I want you to go home. I want you to forget about me. Never think of me again. That's what will make me happy. I'm setting you free, Elena."

He said it quickly so he didn't have to dwell on it longer. Elena looked confusedly at him, and said, "I was ready to fight you on this. I don't know why I let you do this so easily. But now, all I feel is this indescribable urge to get into this car and leave you."

Damon's expression was a defeated one, but he still tried to challenge her, just as she did in their bedroom yesterday morning before heading to the lake house, "So do it."

Elena still looked confused. She didn't really want to get in the car, but some force was pushing her in that direction. Her eyebrows knitted together and soon relaxed. She stepped forward and stretched upwards onto her tippy toes and pressed a brief, but delicate kiss on Damon's lips. Damon closed his eyes and took it in before following through with his promise to Stefan and opening the door to Bonnie's car for Elena to get in. They drove away, and Damon stood watching with a pit in his stomach and a hole in his heart until the car disappeared from view.