"Ha-ha, funny," Kaden deadpanned. "No, I thought it would be too much of an insult to you to wear it to breakfast."

"How considerate of you, Mr. Gray."

"Why, thank you, Ms. Brennan."

 "Get a room." Mark coughed from across the table. He pounded a fist against his chest, feigning a deep cough. "Man, something's in my throat."

Tessa shot a glare at Mark, scowling. "I hope it stays there," she hissed.

Mark grinned. For a son of Iris, the kid was too much like a Hermes kid, what with his mischievous looks and snarky remarks.

Thankfully, Mark's attempt to iniatiate awkward tension had failed because Tessa felt Kaden tap her shoulder. "Actually, Tessa, we should get going," he said.

Tessa knit her eyebrows, turning to face him. "Where?"

"Your room?" Mark interjected.

Kaden ignored him. "The arena, remember? Might be a free day for the older campers but the younger kids still have their lessons. We're in charge of swordplay for today."

Tessa blinked, running through a mental agenda of what she had to do. Naturally, there it was—swordplay w/Kaden—hidden in a part of her brain that was still clouded with fear from last night's nightmares. "Oh," she managed to say. "Right."

"I've gotta grab my sword but I'll meet you in the arena in five?" Kaden asked, standing from the table. His green eyes glinted with something Tessa couldn't place.

Tessa nodded. "See you there."

Kaden grinned his dazzling smile and headed off, capturing the momentary attention of nearly half the girls—and a few guys—attention as he passed them. He passed a column and jogged down the hill, and then he was out of sight.

"Well, I'll see you guys later." Tessa sighed, standing up. She readjusted the scabbard around her waist, resting her hand on the hilt of her sword, Tempest. Most campers didn't bring their weapons to meals but Tempest had become a comforting object for Tessa. Besides, after her nightmare, she wanted as much protection as she could get.

"Grab protection," Mark called.

"Grab a towel," Tessa called back.

"Wait, what—"

As Tessa walked away from the table, she flicked her hand towards Mark. She didn't need to look back to see that the water in his goblet had burst towards his face, dousing his dark hair and camp t-shirt.

She turned on her heel, seeing Mark watch her like a shunned puppy. "Tessa," he whined.

However, Tessa raised a few fingers in a mock salute, turned back on her heel, and headed for the arena.

~~

Tessa liked to think she was a pretty focused person. However, as she passed into the central green of the cabins headed towards the arena, she noticed a flicker out of the corner of her eye and all hopes of concentration flew out the metaphorical window.

She gripped Tempest's leather hilt, looking around carefully. Everything seemed normal, but at the same time something felt horribly wrong. Tessa turned in a complete circle and when she glanced at the woods behind her own cabin, she froze.

A shrouded figure was shuffling through the treeline. It looked to be made of mist, an inky blackness engulfing the early morning shadows into one being. It was too far away to look like anything specific, but it was enough to make Tessa petrified with a sudden fear.