Thirteen

[arte et marte / by skill and valor]

The Hunters sure knew how to set up camp, that was for sure.

At Kassie's command, the Hunters broke formation and got to work at establishing their resting grounds in the clearing. In minutes, silvery tents bloomed from nothing, and a pod of white wolves circled the camp like watchdogs.

"Come." Kassie waved Tessa and her friends inside the largest of the tents, Kaden flanking her.

The inside of the tent was heated and a small hearth in the center made the whole thing feel warm and cozy. Tessa didn't know what mechanics went into play for the tents, but furniture had been set up inside of it out of nowhere.

Kassie sat down on the silvery sofa within, watching Tessa and her friends with a Hunter's precision. Her emerald eyes were the same as Kaden's, although they reflected a colder, more calculating glint towards Tessa. Thankfully, she averted her attention to her brother. "What brings you to Yellowstone?"

Kaden bit his lip. He took a deep breath, glancing at his friends before addressing his sister. "We're on a quest to defeat Deimos," he said at last.

Kassie pursed her lips. "I see." She glanced back at Tessa, the silver circlet on her head gleamed in the firelight. "Do you have any leads as to where he could be?"

Tessa nodded. "California," she told Kassie. "So we need a form of transport there as soon as possible."

Kassie knit her eyebrows, looking back at Kaden wildly. A silent conversation ensued between the two of them, one that Tessa couldn't decipher. A moment later, Kassie took a deep breath.

"I'd like to speak to my brother alone, first," she told the group, a steely look in her ivy-like eyes. "After, we'll discuss what can be done about your quest."

Tessa tried to protest, but before she could, Mark grabbed her hand and ushered her out of the tent, Dale and Reese in their wake. The tent closed, concealing Kaden and his Hunter sister inside.

"So who saw that coming?" Mark wisecracked. He ran a hand through his dark hair when no one laughed, trying to come up with some other way to lighten the mood.

Tessa shot a spiteful look at the tent, but the more she thought about Kaden and his sister inside, the more her fury weakened. Like Tessa with her mother, Kaden hadn't seen Kassie in a long time. While Tessa's time with her mother had been cut short, the least she could do in the camp of the Hunters was allow Kaden as much time as possible with his sister.

"Let's give them the space they asked for." She sighed. "Besides, we could all use some rest."

She forged into the camp, where a few Hunters directed her and her companions to an empty tent. It wasn't as luxurious as Kassie's had been, seeing as she was lieutenant, but it would do. Tessa slumped onto a bean bag, removing her backpack and digging through it for snacks.

"So what do we do from here?" Reese asked, taking a bite out of a granola bar.

"Wait," Mark suggested. "Ponder our actions, sing kumbaya around a fire."

Tessa ignored him. "When Kaden's done with Kassie, we'll ask the Hunters for transport to California. Then, we head to Redwood National Forest and work from there." She took a shaky breath, her hand trembling as she ran a hand through her hair.