Recoveries and Flights

Start from the beginning

Today was Emily's first game back from all of her surgeries. She hasn't played since the World Cup. So Jill wanted to have a little welcome back celebration on the field, and made Em captain. Her voice was partially back, and it only wavered a few times.

Currently we were getting ready for the game, as I watched Emily put on her jersey. Her muscles flexed and contrasted as she lifted her jersey over her head. My eyes fell down to her toned abdomen, and I smirked. I looked at all of her tattoos, and sighed out.

"Hey guys, get in here!" Abby yelled out. She was cleared to play now, but Jill was still cautious about her shoulder. "Game day. Emily's first big game back since the World Cup. Let's go out and win it for her, for us, for them!" Abby yelled, pointing out to where all the fans were. Everyone cheered, and clapped. "USA on three! One, two, three!"

"USA!" We all yelled. I grabbed Emily's hand, as we walked out to the field. All of us waved at the fans, and me and Emily smiled at each other. There was a sign that said,

"O'Rush Forever!"

I smiled at Emily, and she quickly jogged over to where the fan was. She grabbed a sharpie from the girl with the sing, and quickly signed the poster. She gave the fan a quick hug, and then ran back to me.

"You're amazing." I told her, and she smiled.

"Thanks." She rasped. We got over to the bench, and I pulled her close to me. Kissing her behind the ear, I smiled against her skin.

"I love you, and your raspy voice. It's sexy." I told her, and she smiled at me.

"My voice has always been raspy." She told me, and I nodded.

"I know, and I've always loved it." I told her, and she laughed.

"You're so cheesy." She said, and pulled away from me. "We've got to go warm up, come on." She said, pulling me out onto the pitch.

We started practicing, passing back and forth. We did trapping and practiced catching the ball and laying it out to play. Moe went and headed the ball, and it came back and hit me in the face. I laughed out, as JJ ran at me. She laughed with me, as Moe was staring at us in fear.

"Kel-"

"It's good, Moe. Don't worry." I said between my laughs. After we all cleared the field, Emily walked over meet the referee. It was our October 25th game vs. Brazil. Emily had one more game with us after this one, and then she was going back to Paris. I watched as Emily shook hands with the referee, and did the coin toss. Marta was Brazil's captain, and Emily didn't seemed surprised.

We won the coin toss, and started the game with the ball. I took my seat on the bench next to Ashlyn, and patted her on the shoulder.

"Think we'll play today?" I asked her, as she looked over at me. We both gave a small laugh, and turned our attention back to the game. I watched as the ref blew his whistle, and signaled for the game to start. Alex passed the ball forward to Emily, who sent it over to Tobin. Tobin dribbled up field, and sent it over to Moe. Moe tried dribbling up field, but was trapped by two defenders. They got the ball from her, and progressed into our back field. Emily walked over to Alex, and talked to her about something. I sighed out, and rested back on the bench.

---

At half it was 2-1. Alex had a goal in the ninth minute, and Emily had a goal in the forty fifth. Marta had a goal for Brazil shortly before Emily had hers. Alex's goal was an assist from Tobin, and it made us all smile. We called it a Talex goal.

Emily's goal was scary. She was in the box waiting for a cross, two defenders tightly by her side. Pinoe had sent in a cross right to Emily, but it was going to be hard to get to with the defenders on her. I watched as my girlfriend dove for the ball, trying to get her head on it. A Brazil defender was trying to get past her, but fell. Emily flicked her head, getting a touch on the ball. The Brazil defender fell onto Emily's back, sending them both to the ground. The other defender tried jumping over the dog pile, but tripped and fell onto Emily as well. The ball soared into the back of the net, rolling right past the goalies fingers. Cheers erupted from the crowd, as Emily slammed her fists on the turf. Alex came over, helping one of the Brazil defenders to her feet. The other me rolled off of Emily, and then helped her up. Emily took her hand, and smiled at her. Alex then picked Emily up in her arms, spinning her around.