Only Emily saw her cousin grit her teeth. "Yes, ma'am," Rosalind responded, her tone tight but polite enough. She knelt down and caught the pug. It growled at her as she straightened up. "I remember Lucien very well from the last time you visited."

Mrs. Lawrence was already walking towards the Drawing Room, complaining of fatigue, and didn't hear her niece's comment. "I suppose since you misunderstood my letter, Emily, there will be no entertainment planned. Well, I will have to rectify that as soon as possible."

"I sent out cards to a dinner party for Friday evening," Emily informed her. "And there are several other gatherings that I have arranged for next week. I have the invitations we've received at my desk. I will show them to you in the morning."

"Well, I will send some out for a card party tomorrow," Mrs. Lawrence decided. She raised her voice. "Do you hear that, Mr. Lawrence? We will be hosting a card party for tomorrow."

Emily cast Rosalind one last sympathetic look before rushing up the stairs to get changed, leaving the servants to deal with the trunks. There was no doubt in Emily's mind that her aunt's visit was going to be taxing to the extreme.

~

Though Mrs. Lawrence seriously considering sending out invitations for a card party to take place the following evening, she eventually decided that one night with just family would not be terrible to endure. She went up to the housekeeper's room to "make sure everything is in order," as she informed Emily and Rosalind. "I am sure you have both done your best, but I believe an experienced hostess, such as myself, should take charge of these kinds of things."

"She makes me so angry when she does that," Rosalind said with a scowl as she sat on Emily's bed. She watched her cousin tie the ribbons of her bonnet under her chin. "You have been your father's hostess for the past two years. That is quite a bit of experience and she has no right to push you aside in your own home."

"Rosalind, I am just going to let her have her way," Emily said, examining her appearance in the mirror. "She likes to be in charge and she does have more experience in these matters than I do. There is no reason to quarrel with her."

"But it is your home," Rosalind argued. "I wish you would stick up for yourself more, Emily. You are the mistress of Lawrence Manor and she should respect that!"

Turning around, Emily glared at her. "And I wish you would stop letting her scold you and order you around, Rosalind," she responded sharply. "You are not just a companion. You are my cousin and best friend! You may be an orphan, but that does not mean you have to obey the whim of everyone around you!"

For a moment, the cousins glared at each other. Emily dropped her gaze first. "How about we agree that Aunt Lawrence is intimidating and leave it at that?" she finally asked. She heaved a sigh. "I don't know how I am going to stand her company for the journey to London!"

"Oh, the things young ladies will endure for the sake of propriety," Rosalind remarked.

Nodding, Emily sighed again and then grinned. "I think even Father has been hiding in his study from her."

"Well, as we are about to do the equivalent of hiding by going on a walk, I am not surprised your father would do so himself," Rosalind said, standing up. She brushed at her skirt absently. "Why does your father invite her if he doesn't like her being here?"

"Well, she was married to his only brother, and she is a widow now," Emily answered. "I believe he feels responsible for her." She grimaced. "He also believes I need a female influence in my life. Though why he would pick Aunt Lawrence, I don't know."