Chapter Two

Ember woke up the next morning feeling better than she had in a long time. She was alone in the bed, and had a slight headache. Yawning, she carefully climbed out of bed and stood up. She was hungry.

Quietly, she went into the hallway and looked around. The house was quiet. She walked down the hallway and into the living room. Everything was as she remembered it last night.

Going through the door to the kitchen, she spied the glass she'd used the night before. Filling it, she sipped on it and walked back into the living room.

Obviously, her rescuer had gone out. Being alone in a stranger's house felt weird. What should she do? She didn't want to pry into his life.

Suddenly, the door opened. Startled, Ember dropped the glass and turned. She backed away, towards the hallway.

GraveRobber walked in and closed the door. Wearing a black leather jacket and a fedora, he looked nothing like the man she'd met last night. He was carrying a few sacks. "Morning, little girl." He grinned.

Ember looked down at the wet spot in the carpet. "I'm so sorry! You scared me and I dropped my water..."

"Oh, no! It's ruined!" He faked horror. "It's fine. I'll grab a towel." He went into the kitchen and came right back out, sans groceries. He handed a towel to Ember, then took off his jacket and hat. "So, did you sleep well?"

"Yes, thank you." She mopped up her mess. Her stomach gave an audible growl. Blushing, she admitted, "I'm quite hungry, I'm afraid."

"Well, then I guess it's a good thing I went to the store, huh." He straightened his shirt and fixed his hair. "Come on, little girl. Time to feed the beast."

Ember followed him into the kitchen She watched him pull things out of the bags. "Is all of that for me?"

"Us, but yes. I don't usually have anything worth eating here when I don't have company. We have... oatmeal, bread, sliced turkey, popcorn, Twinkies, crackers, cookies, cheese, and pepperoni. We will start you off with oatmeal. Sound good?"

"Very." Ember nodded.

"Good." He set about making the oatmeal. "Go and sit!"

Nodding, Ember went out and sat on the edge of a couch cushion. She looked around nervously. She quickly turned at the sound of his voice.

"God, little girl, you're killing me here! Sit back and make yourself comfortable! You act like you're expecting to be attacked any minute!" When she didn't answer and just stared at him, he looked at her suspiciously. "So... you ARE expecting to be attacked? Well, we'll have to have a little chat." He handed her a bowl and sat down. Taking a bite, he said, "So, Ember, first off, how on earth did you end up looking like a scalpel slut?"

"A- a what?" She asked, her eyes wide.

"Term for girls addicted to surgery. You know, all of your scars?" He took another bite.

She took a bite and quietly looked him over. Finally, she asked, "You won't turn me in to the Genecops?"

"I'm a Zydrate dealer. Why would I do that?" He took another bite and stared at her.

"If I tell you my story, you tell me yours. Deal?" She held out her hand.

He took it and kissed it. "Deal." He took another bite.

"Before I tell you... will you tell me your name?" She took a bite.

"Will you tell the Genecops?" he mocked. He looked at her thoughtfully. "I guess there's no harm in telling you my name, since we're both wanted and all." He stuck his hand out this time. "Clarence Zaboomich."