"Homework?" Elsie questioned, quirking a brow as the tired 5th grader plopped down beside her on the sofa, already munching on another creation of the best cook in the house.

"Um," he paused, swallowing down a bite of a chocolate chip cookie before giving a nod, "Yeah. Math. We learned something new again, and I was wondering..?" Jamie trailed off, directing a slight smile at his cousin who was undoubtfully great in the subject.

Rolling her eyes, she punched his arm lightly, "You're just lucky I'm willing, or else you'd be out of luck, bud."

The brunette grinned in success before continuing to eat his after-school snack, knowing the red-headed girl beside him was indeed correct about his luck. He was lucky to have her here, and without her, he'd be without any good fortune. Math homework was a bust, and so was any other type of homework for that matter, but there was more than those struggles that he always needed help on. Sometimes it was having a hard time falling asleep, sometimes it was sudden thoughts about his father. The situations could vary, but those were the most reoccurring. Without Elsie, he'd be no where.

After an hour of sitting on the couch, watching one of Jamie's favorite TV shows, Jack still hadn't shown up, and if he didn't very soon, the adult of the house would be home and their time would be limited. Sophie had already woken up from her nap, immediately coming to lounge around with the two cousins who, truthfully, were beyond bored. They all tried playing games, but none of them were too into anything they attempted. They were waiting for Jack Frost, and if he didn't show, the promise would be broken.

The immortal boy known as Old Man Winter wouldn't let that happen, though.

After awhile, Elsie decided to go ahead and start on dinner, but even before she could get the oven on, someone happened to be face to face with her when she turned around. Needless to say, she got a bit frightened and let out a shriek.

Jack just laughed, jumping down off the window seal, too amused by what just happened. He was in for surprising them, but that was priceless in his opinion. "Your face was too funny," he breathed out, finished with his laughing fit, clutching his stomach with one hand and using the other to hold his staff.

Elsie just groaned, running a hand down her face before using it to smack his chest. "What were you thinking, scaring me like that? You could've been a ghost for all I knew!" She scolded, shooting him a glare.

"Technically, I am a ghost," he smirked, eyeing her angered expression.

"Technically, my foot is ready to kick you if you ever do that again," she huffed, smacking his chest one last time before turning on her heel. She headed back into the main room, Jack following close behind, still having one edge of his lips upward in a satisfied smirk.

"JACK!" Jamie grinned, scrambling off the couch to run up and hug the immortal life out of his friend. Sophie giggled and jumped off as well, following her big brother's actions almost exactly. Jack was getting embraced by two of his few believers, which made El smile just a little. He looked like he was enjoying it, so she just stood back and watched them talk about what's been happening the past couple weeks. In fact, something the spirit of winter mentioned caught her ear.

"I won't be able to come visit next week- duty calls. But I promise I'll try to come back the week after that, okay?"

She watched her cousins' face fall and how that affected Jack's posture, too. They all got a bit disappointed, and she didn't think she felt the need to be disappointed also, but the drop in her stomach told her otherwise. She didn't let it show- just smiled sadly. She hadn't felt this confused since the last week, but once again, her mind tried to get her to slide the subject off the table.