One Day

"Can you believe it??? I'm getting married tomorrow!!!" She screamed as she slumped herself on the bed. Lying on her belly, she grabbed some pillows and slammed it over her head, burying herself under the covers.

I snorted as I laughed.

To everyone around the world, she's Dennise Lazaro, the Iron Eagle. The greatest libero that the Ateneo has ever seen in a long time. On court, she is the fierce protector of the entire team, the first one to fight back if any one hurts her teammate. Ready to lash out to protect her babies. Her petite frame belying the greatness within her.

But off the court, behind the glitz, glamor, and the glaring lights, she has the biggest heart, and quite a softy. She cries at rom-com movies, although she wouldn't admit it, hastily grabbing the tissue I offer her and turning away from me. I dare not tease her coz I don't want to be at the receiving end when she lashes out. I, her bestfriend, has only been among the privileged few to have seen this side of her.

I stare at her crumpled figure on the bed as I contained my laughter. There she is again, my bestfriend who can be the most glamorous woman one moment, but with me, behind closed doors, is reduced into one big heap of a childish mess.

I sat down beside her on the bed as I slowly peeled off the pillows that were threatening to suffocate her.

"Come here.." I patted my lap as I urged her to lay her head on it.

Peeking from under her wildly trashed  hair, she stubbornly shook her head before slamming her face back down on her arms.

I let out a hearty laugh as I wrapped my arms around her to pull her towards me. She didn't really struggle, but neither did she comply, leaving me to half drag her limp dead weight to pull her and lay her head on my lap.

"Uhhhh... How old are you again? 4?"

"Bleehh!" She stuck out her tongue before grabbing my hand and wrapping these around her waist.

Closing her eyes, she breathed deeply, letting out a long shaky exhale.

"Hey.." I touched her face gently to calm her.. "What's wrong?"

She closed her eyes and weakly shook her head.. "Nothing.." She said with the faintest tone.

"Dennise, besh.. Come on.."

Turning in my arms, she faced me. "Must be some cold feet.."

"Well you'd better warm them miss, coz you only have just a little over 30 hours, til you walk down the isle." I smiled as I softy brushed her hair and she nuzzled her cheeks into my hand.

"30 hours?!?!" She exclaimed, eyes wide in shock.

"Dear.. It's Friday, 9am. Tommorow, at exactly 3pm, you will have your happily ever after.

Closing her eyes, she tried to steady her breathing.

"Ly.. What if I'm making a mistake?"

"What do you mean? Do you think that you should have waited a bit more?"

"No, it's not that.."

"I mean yeah, you've been together for just over a year, and you're still in med school.."

"... What if I'm not in love with him?" She suddenly cut in.

My eyes widened in shock as I waited for her to blurt out laughing, except she didnt. It wasn't a joke and no one was laughing.

"Hey?.." I carefully eased her up urging her to sit so that we can talk face to face. "What's going on inside that cuckoo head?" I joked as I touched her face.