As soon as we entered his room, he locked the door and jumped back onto his bed.

"What the hell Jack?!" I demanded, “I had that – I don’t need you to constantly be there to sort out my problems. Sheesh – I’m 17, I don’t need to be babysat!”

“Oh, come on! I handled that way better than you would have. You would’ve come up with some terrible excuse to your behavior and that would have made mum even angrier. I just managed to get you out of anger management classes and getting your pet taken off you. Give me some credit girl!”

“No.”

“Whatever, it’s not my fault you’re due your period.”

“Would you stop saying I’m on my period??! Just because I’m angry and acting like a crazed lunatic, it doesn’t mean I’m due my period! Gosh, you’re such a cliché guy. At least try to be original.”

“Oh, I’m as original as they come. Anyway, mum does have a point. You’ve been acting out LOADS since Max left.  You would have never done what you just did to Riley when he was here. You wouldn’t have even dreamt of doing that! What’s gotten in to you? You used to be the perfect sister; kind, patient, loving, caring, sweet – now you’re this little brat that flips out as soon as you do the smallest thing to her.”

“Oh, shut up. I don’t need this from you – I just got it off mum. And anyway, this has nothing to do with Max – I’m not an emotionally challenged kid that’s acting out cuz her best friend left her. Maybe I’ve just grown up Jack. Maybe I’ve just changed.”

“You haven’t just ‘grown up’ Claire. You’ve turned into this horrible person that your old self would have hated. You haven’t changed completely either. You’re still kind and lovely to everyone else – just not your family. You should be the best you can be with your family; you’re stuck with us for the rest of your life. Get your act together Claire, I mean it. I know you can’t do it over night but you need to start right now. Ok? You’re my baby sister and I love you, so please listen to what I’m saying; I only want what’s best for you.”

“Ok bro. I’ll try.”

“Come ‘ere and gimme a hug.”

I trudged over to him and gave him a hug, forcing myself not to get teary-eyed. I had been awful the past few years. And whether I liked it or not, I had to change. My moment of realization was soon broken as Jack began to give me a noogie on my head. I flailed around, trying to get free but found my efforts futile. Eventually, I managed to bite him on the hand and broke away from his hold when he yelled out in surprise, loosening his arm.

“You just bit me!” He exclaimed, glaring at me as if I had betrayed him.

“You just gave me a noogie.” I replied, calmly.

“Ugh, you’re such a retard Claire.”

“I wouldn’t have to be if you weren’t such a sissy.”

“I’m not a sissy! How on earth does me giving you a noogie make me a sissy?”

“I never said that made you a sissy – did I?”

“Ugh, you’re unnaturally annoying – you know that?”

“I learn from the best.” I retorted, winking at him.

He just shook his head in response, a grin fighting its way to his mouth.

“What, no response Jack dear?” I patronized.

“Nah, I’m saving them for another time.”

“Sure you are.”

“I am – anyway, I have something important to tell you.”

“Go on then.”

“You might wanna sit down.”

“Alright.” I sat on the edge of his bed. “Go on then.”

“Just promise you won’t throw a hissy fit and try to beat me up.”

“I won’t – I’m trying to be good – remember?”

“Ok, so…. Max is back.”

I sat there for a moment, not comprehending what he had said, allowing an awkward silence to descend around us. Finally, my brain seemed to snap into action:

"Wait, what? Where? How? Why?  Are you lying to me Jack, cuz I swear to god…”

“Do you honestly think I would lie to you about something like this?”

“No.”

“There you go then.”

“Why has he come back?”

“I don’t exactly know.”

“How did you know he’s come back?”

“He told me.”

“So….. What? He just randomly rang you and told you he was coming back?”

“Yes actually.”

“You haven’t been in contact with him at all and he somehow knows your number and rings you?” I asked incredulously.

“I never said we haven’t been in contact.”

“So you were in contact with my best friend and didn’t think it was important to tell me?  Didn’t think it was important at all? These last three years would have been a lot easier on me had I known he was ok. Had I known he wasn’t dead in a hole in the middle of nowhere.”

“Don’t turn on me Claire. It was his decision not to contact you – not mine.”

“He wouldn’t do that to me. He wouldn’t stay in contact with you and completely ignore my existence.  You must’ve told him he can’t speak to me or something.” I accused.

“Claire! I would never do that – you know me! He chose not to contact you. So apparently he would do that to you. He’s not the same boy that left here all those years ago Claire. He’s a completely different person now.”

“Why are you telling me this?”

“What do you mean?” He asked, exasperated.

“It seems awfully like your warning me away from him Jack.”

“I’m not, ok? I’m just stating the truth. And it’s not like he wasn’t my friend too. You know he was so don’t act like you are the only one that was effected by his absence.”

“I know – I’m sorry Jack. I just, I heard rumours that he was coming back and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. But they were just rumours – you know? I guess it’s only just hit me that he’s really back.”

“It’s ok sis.” He gave me a sad smile and wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

“Will I be able to see him?”

“I’m sure you will. But don’t be surprised if he acts like a complete jerk.”

“I’ll try not to.”

“That’s my girl.” He squeezed my shoulders.

“Claire! Josh is at the door.” My mum called from downstairs, breaking the compatible silence Jack and I had fallen into.

“Sounds like mum’s calmed down.” He winked.

“Yeah – thank god.”

“Now go sis, the love of your life’s waiting for you.” Jack taunted.

"Oh, how funny." I retorted, rolling my eyes. I playfully punched him, and headed out of the room.  “Be down in ten!” I called down to mum and rushed to the bathroom for a quick shower.

As I let the hot water wash over me, I shoved Max to the back of my mind and focused on getting ready for a day out with my boyfriend.