Part 7

"Married?" She stuttered.  She didn't miss the 'was' part so it wasn't that bad but she had a feeling that it was about to get worse.  She wasn't sure how him being married at one time had to do with the whole sterile part. Of course, a part of her wanted to cry that if they did get serious they couldn't dream about having their own family later.  They would have Carson though and she wasn't against adoption at all.

"Yeah, I was married for two years." He suddenly got quiet.  Something major happened to put that sorrowful look on his face.  Did she cheat on him?

"Tell me, Sam.  Let me be there for you this time." She whispered, her heart aching now for him.

"Things were going great, we were planning a future and had huge dreams, like all young couples do."  He looked down at her and smile sweetly. "She went to the doctor for her annual girl visit, nothing out of the ordinary, but came home with the news she had stage 4 cervical cancer." 

The wind was knocked out of her.  She could picture this handsome couple, with stars in their eyes, loving each other and dreaming of their happily ever after.  Just to have their dreams shattered to pieces.  She felt tears trickling out of her eyes but she didn't try to hide them.  To hear that this man, this wonderful, sweet man had to endure this was too much.

"What was her name?" She asked.  It suddenly was important to know this poor woman's name.

"Elizabeth. We all called her Liz.  She was a ray of sunshine.  Bubbly and way too trusting."  Mia could tell he was thinking about her and he had a smile on his face as he recalled Liz.

"Anyways, after she was diagnosed and began her treatment, her doctor advised against her getting pregnant. Somehow in my head, I thought if I fixed that, she would be cured.  So I got a vasectomy.  Not that it did any good because we never actually got to be intimate after that.  She literally deteriorated before my eyes.  Three months, eight days after her doctors visit, I was laying her to rest."  His voice was rasping and tired sounding now.  Mia was openly sobbing now.  She turned around and crawled onto his lap, hugging him for dear life.  She wanted to erase all the pain and suffering he had to go through.  And poor Liz!  She had the world at her feet until the rug was yanked out from under her.  It wasn't fair!

Sam held her close and wondered how he had gotten so lucky with Mia.  Any other woman would have been jealous and resentful that another woman was in his life before.  But not Mia, she was sobbing her heart out for a girl she never even knew.  Thats when the final lock clicked into place in his heart.  He was done for. In over his head, completely in love with this woman.

Her crying quieted and she sheepishly looked at him.

"Im sorry Sam! Here I am wailing like a baby and I should have been able to hold it together and comfort you!"  Her hands framed his face as she looked down at him, offering her apologies with her eyes.

He chuckled back at her and pulled her back to him, just holding her.

"MIa, your very presence sooths my soul." He said into her neck, meaning it with every word.

"How long ago was this?" She asked, hoping it wasn't too pushy.

"Its been two years." He answered. "I've had a couple girlfriends since then, more of a physical release situation or so I thought but they either ran for the hills when they found out or they just turned out to be crazy."

"Well, I'm not crazy and I'm certainly not running for the hills unless your there and then I'll gladly run." She said with a wink.  she wanted to lighten the mood and also confirm with him that she was not like the other girls. Because he wasn't like the other guys.  He was special and she wanted him with every fiber of her being.

"Now, lets explore more of the physical release portion you were talking about." She said straddling his lap and pulling his head to her for a deep soul searching kiss.

"Mmmm are you sure? This might take awhile." He said laughing against her lips.

"I just happen to have some time..."