Part 2

It was about 2 hours before she saw people back up around the main ranch house. All fences were intact and all cattle accounted for and Gavin did send 5 men over to Sams place to help round up errant cows.

Gavin also sent another two groups of men to the other neighbors that had suffered damage and to help out.

"It's just what we do." He explained. Mia was really appreciating the southern hospitality that seemed so natural to the people around these parts.

There wasn't much to do with the power being out so Mia was tending to the garden with Carson in the shade and in his bouncer chair. That's where Sam found her when he returned.

"Hey you..." Mia almost responded until she realized he was talking to Carson and he hoisted the baby into the crook of his arm and turned to gaze at her.

"Mama Mia is getting all dirty Carson ."

Mia stood up and wiped the dirt from her knees.

"How are things Sam?" She inquired.

"Oh, not as bad as some and so far I hear there have been no fatalities. Insurance man met up with me already to survey the damages. We've done all we can for the day."

"Well, that's good, I suppose."

"My crew extends their thanks for a place to bunk down at, as do I." He nodded at her. Gawd! He was so sexy! Standing there in jeans and white T-shirt. All lean muscle and all around delicious. Even holding her nephew he looked all man. Carson started fussing and Sam said,

"Go wash up, I'll get him his bottle." Without waiting for her response he headed off to the house. She laughed to herself and at him taking charge in everything he did. She kind of liked it. She had been so alone the last few weeks and it was nice to have someone to lean on. She had known him only a few hours and already she considered him a friend.

She washed off at the barn and headed in to the house herself. She found the boys in the living room, sitting in a recliner. Bottle being sucked down and Carson was being gently rocked. He acted like he'd been around Sam before, completely comfortable. He didn't see her yet and therefore didn't know she was listening when he said,

"Your lucky to have such a good aunt Carson. We will have to take good care of her, wont we."

She stepped back into the kitchen, tears pooling in her eyes. Today had been a very eventful day. Just the other day she realized that she needed to learn more about ranching since she technically was in charge. She wanted to do right by Ben's men. They had all promised she didn't have to worry about a thing and they would take good care of them. She wanted to pull her weight though. Maybe God had heard her cry for help and sent her Sam?

She cleaned up her face as best she could without running water and stepped back into the living room. She found Sam holding a content Carson.

"Thank you Sam. Thank you for saving us and helping us." She whispered to him.

"Your welcome babe. You'll probably get sick of me because I plan on being around to help out from now until you feel comfortable to take over." His gaze pinned her in her spot. She felt chills break out as she felt him scrutinize her.

"Never, I thank you in advance. I could use any help I can get. I'm so afraid I'm going to fail and lose Carson's legacy before he is old enough to inherit it." She shared her fears.

"No, ma'am. Not while I'm alive." He swore to her. She leaned over to take Carson and found her self held there by his hand on her arm. She turned her face towards his and he placed a soft kiss to her lips. Just a fraction of a second and soft as butterfly wings... yet enough to take her breath away. He release her and she picked up Carson, unable to meet his eyes.

"I'm not sorry Mia. I've been wanting to do that for hours."

"I'm not sorry either. I don't know what it means but I'm not sorry either." With that, she left the room to go out Carson in his crib. She came back and switched on the baby monitor and stood at the sink looking out the window. She thought Sam had gone outside until she felt him spin her around to face him. He framed her face with his hands and looked down into her eyes.

"Can I kiss you again?" He asked softly.

She answered him by kissing him first. He tucked her closer into him and devoured her mouth. He threaded his hands in her hair tilting her head to kiss her deeper. He could kiss this woman for hours, he thought to himself. He ended the kiss with little nibbles and then forced himself to stop. He didn't want to push her too far.

"Oh, that was nice.." She murmured.

"Kinda what I was thinking. I could kiss you forever woman." He swatted her behind and headed for the door.

"I'm gonna make sure everyone has a place to bed down and has a game plan. Holler if you need anything."

She just smiled in return. She did get an eyeful of his rear as he left which made her smile and shake her head.

He came back and informed her that everyone was heading out to go get dinner and he was going to take her and Carson to town for dinner too. Well, guess that's settled then, she thought to herself. She gathered the needed items for Carson.

"We were able to get another carseat for Carson and I installed it in my Tahoe." Sam informed her. They walked outside and sure enough their was a large black SUV sitting in the driveway.

"I want you to use the SUV until we get your car replaced. It's an extra and safe enough for you and Carson."

"You don't have to do that, Sam. We can use one of the old farm trucks if need be."

"Absolutely not. They are not safe enough. Please allow me this for my piece of mind."

"Oh, alright. You sure are bossy!" She threw him a saucy smile, buckled Carson in and got in the Tahoe.