Chapter Six

Above is Matt (Daddy), played by David Beckham. He even has a camera. Enjoy!
~SupernaturallyAwkward

In the morning, I woke up with a headache, but nearly screamed in excitement, remembering the day before. Shoving Ian's shoulder, I almost knocked him off the edge of the bed. He awoke with a start, groaning and muttering obscenities. My hair was curly and knotted, but I didn't care. My family was set to arrive that day and the dads told me I had to be ready when they arrived. I took a quick shower, dressed in my new, gray sweater and a pair of high waisted, skinny jeans. After quickly running a comb through my hair, I hurried into my room to find Ian asleep again. His heavy snores were almost endearing, but I had stuff to do. I decided to be gentle and shook his shoulder. Apparently, he hadn't again fallen into a deep sleep, so he woke up fairly easily.

"Ian," I whispered.
"I'm awake," he mumbled, opening his eyes slightly.
"Good, because we have a lot to do," I replied, sitting down beside him.
"Like what?"
"Like Christmas shopping and other pre-Thanksgiving dinner things."
He groaned but pulled himself up into a sitting position. "Can I run home first and change?" I nodded.
"Meet you here in an hour?"
"Do you think I'd let you drive alone again?" He asked rhetorically.
"My car. I'm driving," I told him blatantly. He muttered something about how he'd known it would go to my head, before driving his car down the block to his house.

I took the given time to dry my hair and curl it well instead of the mess it was before. To avoid my normal train wreck-ness, I managed to do a little bit of makeup, and lace up my high tops. Just before there came a knock at the front door, I had pulled on my windbreaker and strung the necklace I had been given. I swung the front door open to reveal Ian, hair still damp, but better combed.

"Be safe," the dads called from the kitchen. "Love you!" I called back, closing the door. I dialed the code into the garage key pad and opened the garage door. Ian climbed into the passenger seat.
"This is awesome," he commented. "The seat heaters even work in here!"
"It's a Thanksgiving miracle!" I replied. He laughed at the thought and buckled up. I pulled the car out of the driveway and we drove down the coffee shop. Nate was working the front counter.

"Ky," he exclaimed. "Are you okay? We heard about the accident."
"Yeah, I'm okay," I said, brushing away the concerns. "I got off lucky."
"Well, thank god you did," he replied. "By the way, Happy Birthday! What can I get you guys? On the house."

After we had ordered and thanked him generously, we continued on our merry way. We made a first stop at a gift shop to pick out something for Ian's mom. She was very into figurines, like angels or statues. Finally, I convinced Ian that his mother would love a statue engraved with a poem, addressed to "Mom." We went next to a vintage shop downtown and found an antique set of baseball cards to give my Dad. He had always been into baseball and had instilled the love of the sport in my heart when I was a child.

By the time we had found the cards, we were nearly out of time to do anything, due to the Dads texting like crazy for me to pick up the forgotten groceries, needed to cook Thanksgiving dinner that night. We stopped at the grocery store. Ian pushed the cart and I loaded it chock full of necessities. When we had reached the bottom of our list, we decided to head back. Upon our arrival, we unloaded the trunk of my car and, much to my appreciation, Ian said that he couldn't be much help at his house and could stay to help at mine. We were set with the task of making the stuffing and salad. I chopped up the vegetables, while he cooked the stuffing on the stove. After I finished tossing the salad, I was handed a recipe for holiday cookies. Dad was hurriedly trying to cook the turkey, while Daddy was working on the yams and the pie.