Chapter 45

The car had barely rolled to a stop when Joe jumped out and dashed for the cabin. He threw the door open, almost hoping Grace was inside. His face fell as he looked around the long empty cabin. He ran a hand across the dusty mantle he and Levi had wrestled into place. Smiled at the charcoal marks on the hearth where Sarah had practiced math. The table was the same one they'd built. The chairs were different, though. The bed frame in the corner needed new ropes. There was the alcove he'd carved into logs for Grace's nicknack's.

He sank to his knees in the middle of the floor. "Grace, I'm so sorry."

He felt his father's hand on his shoulder. "Come inside, Joe."

Joe swallowed the lump in his throat and rose to follow his father to the house.

He sat in a recliner in the living room, holding his head in his hands.

"How 'bout you tell us where you've really been. We've had literally everyone lookin' for you."

Joe's jaw dropped, his eyes wide with shocked hurt. "I told you."

"You told me a line. A fabrication."

Joe shook his head. "I knew you wouldn't believe me. It's the same as before. You've never believed me. Never believed in me."

"I refuse to believe that you traveled through time."

"Daniel, stop."

Joe lunged to his feet. "Fine. Don't believe. I don't live here anymore."

"Joe! Daniel!"

Joe ran for his room and locked the door. He grabbed a small bag and threw clothes in it. His father pounded a fist on the door. "Joseph open this door. Now!"

Joe turned to survey the room. His eyes fell on the bible. He grimaced then threw it on top of his clothes.

"Joe, please."

His mother's pleading voice tore at his heartstrings. He grabbed his dusty cowboy hat and thrust it on his head. His eyes narrowed as a key scraped in the lock. He squared his shoulders, expecting a fight. Instead, his grandmother hobbled into the room, quietly closing the door behind her. His resolve melted as her tender gaze turned on him.

"Joe. You're home."

"Granny."

She held out her arms, expecting a hug. Joe stepped into her embrace, melting against her. Unbidden tears rolled down his cheeks.

"Dear boy. I've missed you."

"Missed you too, Granny."

"Tell me about your love." She pulled him to the bed and sat next to him.

"Her name's Grace. Grace Higgins."

A nostalgic smile crossed the old woman's face. "What a beautiful name."

"She's very beautiful."

"You went back in time?"

Joe nodded.

"The oddest thing happened when we first moved here. A magnificent indian brave came to us, asking for a loaf of bread. He claimed to be the brother of a man who lived here."

Joe dipped his head and smiled. If he managed to travel more than once, maybe I can too.

Granny patted his knee. "Your mom has dinner ready. I think she made swiss steaks."

Joe's mouth watered and his stomach growled at the thought of the tomato gravy with mashed potatoes and toast.

Granny chuckled. "I'm glad you didn't lose your taste buds. I'd imagine you'll want to go riding tomorrow. My horse is ready whenever you need him. I'm pretty sure we can also find a snow machine if you need it."

"Thanks, Granny, but I can't stay here."

"Pshaw, boy. You're staying. We've had quite enough heartbreak for one lifetime. I'll not lose another grandchild to bullheadedness."

"Granny..."

She stood, waving her hand. "Come pretend we're a loving family for one night. We'll figure it out tomorrow."

Joe rolled his eyes as she left the room. I can't. Grace needs me.