Chapter 8: Mellon Nin

Start from the beginning

But here he was, a prisoner of Sauron, in the black land of Mordor, laughing of all things.

Legolas finally paused to answer Pippin's question, "You really forgot what mellon means? Were you not with us when we arrived at Moria? How did we enter in the first place?"

Pippin thought about it. He hadn't really paid attention to how they'd gotten in.

"I'll give you a hint," Legolas said with a playful smile, "speak "friend" and enter.' Surely you remember?"

Pippin shook his head.

"Sorry. I don't know."
"It is a riddle Peregrin Took! Speak friend and enter."

Pippin suddenly got it.

"Friend. My goodness I can't believe I didn't get that!"

Legolas began laughing again. It wasn't a spiteful laugh, but one full of joy. Pippin found himself joining in. Laughter had never been heard before in all the land of Mordor.

Yet deep in the dungeons of Barad-Dur, two prisoners laughed for the sheer joy of knowing that they still could.

As they finished their laughter, Pippin noticed a soft glow starting to fill the cell. He was startled to find that it came from Legolas.

"You're glowing!" He exclaimed in disbelief.
"I am. I have regained my light."

Pippin had no idea what Legolas meant but he simply watched as the light slowly began to fade, but not completely.

Legolas turned to Pippin and asked, "Do you know how Middle Earth was created?"

That was an odd question. The hobbit shook his head.

"No. I don't."
"Would you like to hear how?"
"Sure."

Pippin soon found himself listening intently as Legolas told him of Illuvatar and the creation of the Valar. Of the song of Illuvatar and how he formed Arda, thir home. He listened as he named all the Valar: Manwe, Ulmo, Aule, Yavanna, and many others.

He heard of Melkor and how he tried to change Illuvatar's song. He heard of the coming of the eldar, and the trees of light. The making and loss of the Silmarils, and the oath made by Feanor to reclaim them at any cost.

It was awhile before Legolas noticed that a soft snoring was coming from the hobbit who had fallen asleep leaning on Legolas.

For a moment the elf was uncomfortable. He hadn't meant for the hobbit to fall asleep on him.

Not wanting to disturb him either, Legolas carefully tried to shift himself into a sleeping position without waking the hobbit, but this was easier said then done.

At one point the elf had gotten into a position where he lay on his side, while Pippin slept soundly on his right arm.

Legolas tried to remove his arm from under the hobbit which was no easy task. Once his arm was almost free the hobbit grabbed it in his sleep and refused to let go no matter how hard Legolas tried to pull it free. Finally he conceded and laid down flat on his back while Pippin still grasped his arm.

Stifling a sigh, the elf closed his eyes and fell into a peaceful sleep.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Mouth watched the entire scene play out in disgust. How the elf cared for the halfling sickened him. Not to mention the stories of the Valar and Illuvatar.

But he had heard something that may prove useful to Sauron. He made his way out of the dungeon and returned to Sauron's throne room.

His master was expecting him.

"What have you learned?" Sauron demanded.
"I learned that the halfling would willingly give up his life, just so that infuriating elf wouldn't have to suffer. He doesn't realize that as long as he remains here, whether he lives or dies he will suffer at your hand. The only difference would be that he'd fight back."

The Mouth then went on to describe everything that had happened in the cell, including how the elf was starting to regain some of his light.

This made the dark lord furious.
He had destroyed Legolas' light years ago. After his escape he knew that it would never truly return again, as long as the beast inside Legolas lived his full light would not return.

It was that wretched halfling! He had to die.

They both knew it.

A plan began to form in the dark lord's mind. One that involved the halfling, and the two other prisoners he kept in his dungeon.

"Very well. If the halfling wishes to give his life then I will grant him his wish."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

So this is kind of a lighter chapter. I noticed that there is a lack of friendship between Legolas and Pippin in the movies and books. So I tried to make their friendship close to what I can imagine it would be like in the books and movies. Of course their situation could be better...