“To the dentist for a cleaning.”

“That’s a good one. You hungry?”

“Starving.”

“Let’s go feed my nephew.”

 “It’s a girl.”

“No sweetie, It’s a boy. You want to bet “

“How would that look me betting on my own child.” Francesca smiled turning to her friend.

“Hundred dollars it’s a boy.”Lala smiled putting out her hand.

“Two.” They shook.

“This is truly going to be an adventure. La” Francesca walked out the door. Lala followed.

“And it’s just beginning.”

Several times Francesca had picked up the phone dialed the first three digits of his number then hung up. This had been gone on for the last thirty minutes since she had returned to her office. The buzz of the intercom caused her to nearly jump through the roof.

 “ What are you doing? “ Her mother asked.  Before she could reply her mother was entering her office, with a concerned look on her face..  “Francesca what is going on with you?” It amazed her how  her mother could always tell  if something was wrong with her. It was like she had a six sense. She wondered would she have that ability with her baby.

“Nothing is wrong ma. I just didn’t sleep well last night.”

“ Who were you trying to call?”

“Nobody .” She knew she looked guilty.”

“ Stop lying. It’s Angelo isn’t it? “ Her mother asked.” Ever since you and him broke up you’ve been acting strange. It’s a blessing that you two  didn’t get pregnant. Than we would have really had a ,problem.” Francesca turned and coughed  hoping to god that her mother hadn’t seen the shocked look crossed her face when she said  pregnancy .  The woman was too astute, she really had to step up her game to keep her from finding out truth.

. “So are you taking something to help with the insomnia?” Francesca watch her mother walk out the office and then back in.  “If you don’t have anything this should help.” Her mother  handed her a little brown bottle. “One of them will knock you out.” Grabbing her by the chin her mother turned her face side to side .”Are you eating Francesca ? I hope more than a salad. “ Her mother stood back to examine her more fully. “You really look  pale. You need to go home early and get some rest . I can handle the office. “  Francesca  had to recover quickly from that last comment. Her mother was too observant. All she needed was for her to find out she was pregnant then everyone would know.  “Get up your going home. Now.”  Francesca stood. “Ma I’m ok, I’m not going home.” Francesca took her bag and coat from her mother laying them on the desk . “  Fran  he isn’t the last man on earth, I know he broke you heart.”