Chapter 14

~~OWEN~~

I was not sure what was going on. Aunt Lady just kept talking and talking and talking to the doctor man. She got real happy at first then got real sad after the doctor man asked me some questions. 

She asked if "it" will just get worser and worser... whatever "it" is. 

"I'm sorry Alice, but yes. He will just continue to get worse. As the years progress, it will get worse faster." The doctor man said. "Without Denise here, for some reason, he just won't remember."

It looked like Aunt Lady was about to cry. But there was something the doctor man said that made me start to think...

"OH YEAH!" I almost yelled. "D-denise was her n-n-name!" I said. I feeled real happy I finally got her name right.

"Yes honey, Denise was her name." Aunt Lady said to me. Then she looked back at the doctor man. "Is there any way we can go see her or she can come here? Any way at all?" 

The doctor man thinked for a little bit.

"Well, the drive there is about a 2 hour drive. If you wanted to go over there, I'm not stoppig you, but you must think of what's best for Owen." He said.

Where is 2 hours?

"I am thinking about what is best for Owen. If he has any chance of getting better, I'll do it. This is a hospital for Pete's sake! We're supposed to be thinking about how we can make our patients better! Not just give up!" Aunt Lady said. She was mad now. "I'm going to that hospital. Now, you can help me by giving me directions or I can fidn it myself. But that would take three times as long."

The doctor man breathed real loud. "It's just off the highway, 2 hours north of here. It's the Beaumont Children's Hospital. You'll know it when you see it." He said. He looked real tired real fast. 

"Thank you doctor." Aunt Lady said. "Say good bye Owey."

"Bye!" I said and waved my hand at him. He smiled and waved back. How nice. 

"A-a-aunt Lady? Where are w-we g-g-going?" I asked. 

"We are going for a car ride. I want you to sleep in the car Owen OK? It's been a long night for both of us." She said. "I just need to check you out. You sit down on one of those chairs over there." She pointed her finger at the sitting place. I put my butt on a seat and waited for Aunt Lady. 

She finally came over and I was so so excited to go in a car. I loved car rides. 

"I-i-i love car rides Aunt L-l-l-lady." I said to her. She smiled at me and walked me to her car. 

"Crap, I forgot a seat." She said real quiet. Maybe she was takling to herself. 

"Owen, honey, I want you to be really good in the car because I don't have a booster seat for you, OK?" She asked. I said yes and she opened the door for me. 

It smelled really good in Aunt Lady's car. 

Aunt Lady helped me with my seat belt then telled me the rules. 

"Keep your butt in the seat, no jumping around, and no un-buckling your seatbelt, OK?" She asked. I said yes again. "You see how I put this on you? I want you to keep it exactly like this the entire ride, OK?" I said yes AGAIN then she gotted in the front seat. 

I was so excited. 

We got onto the road and went on another really big busy road. There was a alot of cars on it. No monster trucks. 

We drived for a long time, but I falled asleep before we gotted to where we were going. 

~~Aunt Lady~~

What if this is a bad idea? What if Denise doens't remember him and she ends up hating him? What if we never find her? What if, what if, what if...

All these stupid "What if..." questions were running through my mind, making me even moer nervous than I already was. 

But I couldn't just let Owen sit around while I watch him get worse and worse. I had to do this. If not for Owen, then for Denise as well. 

I frantically searched my car for the pack of gum I bought. I always chew gum when I'm nervous. It seeems to calm me. My fingers found the package and  I hurriedly got out a piece. I chewed it so fast my jaw started to hurt. I slowed my frantic jaw movements and almost got relaxed. 

We had been driving for about an hour and 15 minutes. Owen fell asleep almost as soon as we got on the highway. I knew he was tired. He hadn't gotten much sleep the night before. I didn't either but, hey, someone had to drive the car. 

We drove for another 30 minutes when I saw the sign that said "Children's Beaumont: Exit 32"

FINALLY. 

I drove up the ramp and, like the doctor said, I saw it almost immediatly. I looked in the rearview mirror to check on Owen, but he was still sleeping. 

Well, no use going to see Denise with a sleepy Owen. 

I pulled into a Comfort Inn and asked for a room. They gave me the keys and I headed off with a sleeping child in my arms. We weren't staying the night, seeing as it was already almost daylight. I just put  Owen on the bed and let him sleep. 

I was pretty tired too. I climbed in with Owen and wrapped my arms around him. My last thought in my head before I drifted off was "I hope we're doing the right thing."

~~**~~

hey yalzzz.  just fyi, im starting on a new story! Hopefully it will be up soon. The titale isnt for sure set yet, but when it is I will let u guyz know. 

I other news, I have changed the requirements for another chapter. This chapter must get atleast 45 reads and 2 votes, As well as the other chapters that follow this one. I'm counting on you guyz. :)

<3-rachelle