Chapter 8: Pillars of salt

Start from the beginning

"The general populace might not, but I do. Get ready to be prosecuted, Levi Jackson." He thrust me back onto the ground harshly, spitting in my direction before stomping away. He slammed the door, enveloping me in darkness once more. 

I curled further into the corner, shaking all over. I just don't get it. Why me? Why my family? Who goes around murdering people's fathers because of who they love? Psychopaths, that's who. 

And of course I would get mixed up with the biggest, meanest psychopath in all of Boston.

If I ever get out of here, I am taking Gage and we are so moving to Nebraska.

~~~~~Gage~~~~~

"We're doing everything we can. We just need time." Barnes said in a soothing tone, not soothing me at all. It's been an entire day, and they have no idea where he could be? To say I was frustrated was a massive understatement. 

"Where have you looked? Did you try his phone?" I pressed, running a hand through my hair while the other tapped my thigh in anticipation. For what, I wasn't sure. 

Barnes sighed and looked at Malotti, her partner whom she'd brought with her this time. "Sweetie, I don't mean to sound harsh, but you need to let us do our job." I threw my hands up, snorting. 

"I let you do your job before, and look where it's landed us. Wiggins got out, stalked us for weeks then kidnapped Levi! Bang up job you're doing so far, really." I said, my voice not exactly a whisper and my tone not entirely polite. Malotti stepped forward, putting a hand on my shoulder and looking up at me.

"We have people in the air, and on the streets scanning everywhere for the kid, alright? We're searching places people don't normally have access to. Maybe he's hiding him in one of those areas." I shut my eyes, trying to calm myself down and take in what he was saying. That had to be effective, right? Planes and squad cars patrolling, searching sketchy places. 

But....this is New York. Half of the city is a 'sketchy place'. Gods, how are we ever going to find him when our search is narrowed to millions of possibilities? 

Later that day, I was sat on the couch, a blank look on my face. They had forbidden me to go out looking, because Wiggins would not be afraid to leave Levi alone so long as he was trapped, to find me and possibly harm me.

I thought that was a load of crap, but they also said they would cuff me to a pipe in the bathroom if they caught me wandering the streets alone. 

Uncle Jack and Aunt Leilani kept shooting me worried glances every now and then. My aunt was constantly sniffling and wiping at her eyes, which made me feel slightly better. She hardly knew Levi, yet she was already crying over him. You really can't help but love him.

Chloe knew something was wrong, but my dad refused to tell her exactly what. She didn't really need to know Levi could turn up dead any day now. 

I flinched at my own harsh thoughts, my eyes beginning to sting. I felt tears coming on, when my dad came in the room with a hopeful look on his face for the first time. I immediately hopped up and went over to him.

"What is it? Do they have something?" 

"Yeah! It looks like one of the neighbors saw a car peeling out of the alleyway around the time Levi was taken. She's describing it to the police right now." I followed him over to the window of the living room, looking out at the neighbor's house across the street. 

Sure enough, red and blue lights flashed across our faces through the blinds as we watched the soccer mom looking lady speak to the officer, occasionally glancing towards the house as she did so. I sighed, looking away from them. 

"She won't know anything helpful, dad. She'd have to know the license plate and everything." He glared at me, hitting me in the arm. I winced, rubbing the area. "What?" 

"Stop being so damn pessimistic. If anything, you should be more optimistic than any of us. If she knows the make and model, that can be very useful, especially if he rented or stole a car. Tell me, if you were taken, god forbid, would you want Levi thinking like that? That it was hopeless?" I shook my head, looking down in shame. 

My dad's right. I can't afford to let those thoughts come to my head. I slouched back over the couch, putting my head in my hands. But what if he really is.....No. He's not dead. I won't ever accept that. I will find him, alive. Then i'll kill Wiggins and we'll live happily ever after. 

Yeah. I like that plan. That's optimistic, right? 

........even if I do have the sudden urge to go to Nebraska. Weird. 

----------You go Gagey! Let thoughts of killing Wiggins spur you forward! COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT and i'll respond with updates. ^_^ I'm such a comment whore. Sorry guys, i'm lonely. TALK TO MEEEEEE----------