Barbarians and Bayonets

Barbarians make me shiver. Don't they make EVERYONE shiver? I felt like that when I died in a trench. Yes, I was a soldier from the Great War. Private Craig Marshall of Huddersfield, England. I died of an injury to my throat. This is how it happened.

"ATTENTION!!!" Sargent roared, spit flying from his mouth, yellow teeth clearly visible. "WE WILL FIGHT ON THE SOMME. WE WILL WIN!"

I hated fighting. Especially with Germany. My best friend Tad told me this story about a German General's Ghost and that he hunts for the Brits and stabs them with a bayonet. Now you see, I don't believe in ghosts. Who would? So I know that a beastly Hun made that up to distract us. Time for bed now anyway. G,night.

I heard a rustling nearby my trench. My head perked up slightly, I could see nothing. Then I heard footsteps, boots stomping along the passage to our Dugout.

"I'm coming...I'm going to kill you..," a voice whispered. No! It's not a ghost. Ghosts aren't real. So I go out into the passage, gun at the ready to shoot the sneaky Hun, when I heard another noise. "Silly Tommy. Ghosts ARE real. I am a ghost...and now you will die."

A rush of pain soared through my back, causing me to fall. Only one weapon could do this damage:a bayonet.