Chapter One

Toby Turner was my hero, and pretty much my life. I spent almost all my time up in my room, watching his YouTube videos. His laugh always put butterflies in my stomach and gave me the goofiest smile that only my best friends saw. Whenever I watched his videos, I felt like I’d known him my whole life! I loved Toby Joe Turner.

My 20th birthday was coming up in two weeks, and my parents knew exactly what I wanted: VidCon tickets. I was starting to doubt they’d get me them, since they website had said they were sold out.

“Sideburns, on the side of my face,” my phone sang out. I quickly picked it up and put it to my ear, “Hello?”

“Hey sweetie, it’s mom. Come downstairs, we have a surprise!”

I smiled, threw my phone down, and then ran as quickly as I could down our stairs and into our living room. Mom and dad were sitting on the couch, each holding two tickets. Shocked, I started walking closer. Dad was holding two VidCon tickets, and mom was holding two plane tickets. “NO WAY,” I screamed, wiping away a small tear. My parents got up and wrapped their arms around me. “YOU’RE THE BEST! I LOVE YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!”

“We know, Alana,” my dad kissed my forehead. “Now go call Kelly and tell her to pack her bags!”

Giving them each a quick kiss on the cheek, I ran back up to my room and called my best friend Kelly. I quickly gave her the story and she screamed, “WE’RE GONNA MEET TOBY FRICKIN’ TURNER!”

“I KNOW! But be here around 10! Our flights at 11! I’ve got to go pack, so see you tomorrow!” Then I hung up the phone and began packing enough clothes for the two weeks we would be staying there.

The next morning, my parents woke me up at 8 to get ready. They fed me pancakes drowned in strawberry syrup and scrambled eggs, which I quickly devoured.

Then I heard Kelly knocking on the door. I raced to get it, but dad beat me to it. “Thank you so much, Mr. Wells!”

My dad laughed, “Kelly, there’s no need to thank me!”

“Kel, I’m gonna get dressed; then we can go,” she nodded and I ran up the stairs. I chose a pair of shorts and a bright blue short sleeved shirt. I grabbed my suitcases and went down stairs, said goodbye to my parents, and then left!

Something about all this felt right, like it was meant to happen.

“Alana!” Kelly said, getting me out of my current fantasy of Toby.

“What?”

“You were daydream talking again.”

“Oh, God,” I whispered, feeling my face burn up.

Kelly laughed, “It’s okay, it was funny!”  

In a few minutes we were in the airport going thru security. I was so excited, I couldn’t stand still.

“Flight 309 to Los Angles California is now boarding,” a woman’s voice boomed.