Anastasia Lucendent Adela

Start from the beginning

"I will give you twelve hundred gold coins," I say holding my head high. The thief's eyes glow as bright as the golden coins I was offering him. "I will give you this, in return for your knowledge."

The boy laughs. "Sorry to disappoint love, but I don't have any knowledge you might seek. I didn't even stay in school long enough for them to teach me to read."

I was surprised at this, was my kingdom's education system so weak that this thief was not even in school long enough to read? I cover up my surprise at my lack of knowledge of my kingdom's education system with a smirk. "You are quiet wrong," I say straightening my spine. I take my weight off the stranger and help him up. "I want to know about my kingdoms."

He cocks his head in confusion and so I purse my lips and continue. "I have been trapped in a castle my entire life," I say clasping my hands. "Sure I have the proper training and classes, but I want to become queen truly knowing my people. You have been around all Five Kingdoms and live in the village." I stated this as a fact and the boy nodded, confirming my idea.

"For the next four weeks, during the tournament, you will teach me about the Kingdoms and the Clans from the village perspective. You will tell me all you know about the princes and show me around the village," I say crossing my arms.

The boy rubs his wrists as if my pinning him down had actually hurt and picks up his lute. He brushes dirt off of the instrument and gives me an award winning smile. Slowly, he offers his hand. "You got yourself a deal, my love."

I shake his hand and pull it away as quickly as I can. He slips the lute around his back and rubs his hands together. "What would you like to know first, princess?" He asks, I guess he was ready to answer my questions now.

I smile at him smugly, but inside I'm freaking out.

He is my ticket to the outside world!

I have my last bit of freedom before I have to get married to a arrogant prince and be stuck in the castle forever. This is my way into the world of my subjects. This is how I can truly learn their lives and how I can improve them.

With newfound confidence, I hold back my shoulders and smile. "Call me Ana," I respond with a satisfied nod. If we were going to get to know each other then him calling me my own name will be helpful. "Firstly, I would first like to know your name." I say.

The boy pauses, his hand drifts to the ring tied on a golden chain around his neck and he fiddled with it uncharacteristically nervous.

"Magiano... My name is Magiano," he said quietly, as if he was afraid telling me his name might scare me away.

"Magiano," I repeat. "I... I have heard of a thief named Magiano. They say he is a wild child. He can lure you off a cliff with the music from his lute and can steal something from you without you even feeling the wind of him passing by," I narrow my eyes. "You're him aren't you?" I ask. "That's why those men ran. They are afraid of you."

Magiano runs his fingers through his hair, shrugging casually as if this weren't an issue. "I see my reputation has gotten around the Five Kingdoms," he responds with a sheepish grin.

A sudden expression of nervousness falls over his handsome face. "You're not going to turn me in... are you?" He asks.

  For a moment he lets down his guard. His smug disposition was dropped by the fear of being turned in for his crimes.

I smile, oddly satisfied that he is afraid of my power. "No, I won't. In fact, as part of your deal I will pardon you for all your crimes... but..."

"But..." He mimics me with a curious look on his face.

"You have to tell me about yourself," I add, putting my hands on my hips happily. I was enjoying this game now that the cards are in my favor.

He laughs. "Why do you want to know about me?" He asks, a strand of his dark hair falls across his face and he blows it out of his eyes.

  "Because... You're a thief. You do whatever you want and I am always trapped in a castle learning the proper guidelines to dulling a kingdom. I want to know how you do what you do. How you steal with the ease of a gust of wind kissing your cheeks."

  Magiano purses his lips. "Why would you desire to know how I steal?" He asks cocking his head.

I smile. "Because it will give me future advise on what to look out for." If I know how they do it, I will know how to prepare. Magiano looks impressed.

"I just want to know how my people think and how to become more intelligent queen. I will know how my thieves and enemies think therefore I know how to defend myself."

  Magiano flashes a mischievous grin. "I see." I had a odd feeling that he was observing me more than he let on. Like he knew more about myself than I did.

"Meet me at this spot at five every other night," I say, praying he will stay true to his word and come.

"Of course, love," he agrees with a nod.

I turn to look at Papa Bear who anxiously paws the ground. "I must go," I say. "It is late and... and I have an important day tomorrow." I was afraid my voice betrayed my confident mask I had worked so hard to keep on, and I forced a tight smile.

"Of course princ- Ana. Of course Ana," the thief replied as he pulls his blood red hood over his head and turns to leave. He swings his lute around his shoulder and begins to play softly as he walks.

"Wait," I call, turning quickly before he can disappear into the night.

Magiano lazily faces me, cocking his eyebrow and abruptly stopping his beautiful song.

"Thank you," I say in nothing more than a whisper. "For saving my life." I know he hears it.

He smiles and I can tell the smile is real and joyful. "Thank you, love, for saving mine. I-" he stops short then clears his throat.

"They would take my life for everything I have stolen. And I can't... Well I suppose you will find out my story in time." With that final statement of vagueness and a nod, the young thief disappears into the shadows.

Papa Bear neighs. "I know this is risky, Bear," I say with a sigh. "But he is my only link to the outside world. I can learn so much about my kingdom from him." I leap swiftly into his saddle, staring at the space where Magiano has disappeared.

  "Now, let's go home," I say looking up at the large castle that sits on the hill.