Maple Wood

"Now shoulders back, head up, and walk." My teacher said to me as I began walking around the room. My dress hitting the tops of my feet as I walked lightly across the marble floor, but they still echoed across the ballroom. 

"Your majesty." She said to me. Turning to look at the middle aged woman, she seemed to be disapproving of my walk. "Are you not wearing shoes?" I can feel my lips pucker & a bit of warmth rushed to my cheeks but it didn't last long as I soon smiled. Lady Keira seemed to look angry as i let out one word. 

"Maybe." I thought she might have turned red if my father hadn't called for me. Smiling wider I picked up my dress and ran to find him quickly, moving around Keira. She watched as i ran out of the room. "Thank you Keira. I'll see you later." I call over my shoulder, some servants smiled at me knowing that walking practice wasn't me. This was me, running barefoot. I running up the stairs of the castle that had a pattern of stone but was smooth. The hall had paintings of family, or scenery, well some just wood planks with designs of great detail were on columns and the ceiling. The outer wall was just windows that were open overlooking the garden & back forest letting light in. The doors I passed we each different but only by small details, but it was only one door i was interested in. 

It was an oak wood door with a hand carved pattern. It's been there forever. The door handle however was changed because father didn't like the one granddad had. Now it was a black handle shaped like a circle. He preferred simple, sometimes. Once I found the door I ran in but stopped a foot in the entrance. Other people were here. 

"Lyra this is King George & his son Prince James, they're from the inland kingdom." My father says one I enter the room. The two people gestured to do look like royalty, they wore flashy clothes & held themselves as high as if all were beneath them. But the only physical similarity I could see that made them family were their eyes. Blue. The two people looked at me & remembering the one thing Keira taught me about meeting, i curtsied. Not caring I was barefoot and welcomed them. 

"How do you do your majesties? Welcome to Maplewood." The two stared at me for a second, before the King spoke. 

"Are you not wearing shoes, Princess." Looking down at my feet to make sure i still wasn't, which I was, I looked to him.

"No." He turned to my father with a weird look, the boy my age looked like he was going to laugh. Father looked embarrassed, I didn't see why. "I don't wear shoes so I can be comfortable walking. How can i be comfortable in shoes if I am not comfortable barefoot." I say getting their attention. They all looked at me in shock, as if they didn't expect my words. All I did was smile at them. But I wanted to say, just because I'm a kid doesn't mean I'm stupid.
King George turned back to my father & mumbled something to him. My father nodded to whatever he said, then the King ushered his son who was now staring at me out of the door. I moved aside to let them pass, then walked around the large table in the middle of the room to the chair my father now sat in. 

"Did I say something wrong?" I asked. He looked at me with a smile. 

"No you didn't." He said, "The King was impressed at your reason not realizing it before." 

I smiled back at him for this, glad I didn't mess up. "Now," My father said lifting me onto his lap. "What does my little princess want for 6th birthday?" Giggling I replied, "A new book & a trip to the market." Laughing with me my father told me it could be arranged. Still smiling I think of a sneaky idea then add, "And a new teacher?" My father laughed harder. 

"Or perhaps just some knew lessons." A sweet voice from the doorway said, it's owner was my mother. Everyone said i was going to be her when i was older. I often thought about it & decided it wasn't for me. She walked around the desk, kneeling to my level. "So what do you want to learn?" She asked with a smile & twinkle in in her eye. 

"Archery." I say. "That way I can shoot apples off peoples heads." Both my parents laugh, knowing i got the idea from a story but they would do it for me anyway. They know I'm adventures, at least that's what they called it. 

"Then it will be done my angel." Father said to me. 

"Now back to your lesson." Mother says. My lips pucker at the idea but i nod my head & jump off my father's lap and walking to the door, trying to walk princess like but my mother stops me. "Lyra, are you not wearing shoes." Turning I look at her with a shy smile nodding my head . She shakes her head in response. "This must stop. You can't keep doing this." 

"But they're pinchy." I say or complain.

"You still have to wear them." She says before sighing. "This stops tomorrow. Now go back to your lesson, Keira will be waiting." She finishes letting me run down the hall. I can hear both my parents laugh as i run. Smiling, I slide down the staircase railing before my feet hit the floor again. More fun than stairs. Arriving back in the ballroom I see Lady Keira waiting with an angry face.

"Princess." She began before going off into a rant. I didn't pay much attention until she pinched the bridge of her nose. "Now remember head up, shoulders back."  

~ Hey guys the link & the picture is how Lyra looks in this chapter. That will probably be a constant for the story letting you know ~ Dani