The Stranger

Jason's pov

Sierra and I are hunting. We just got to my deer stand when my phone blinks. Luckily I was smart enough to put it on silent before coming out here. It was dad texting me to tell us to be home for dinner. I text back we'll be home WITH dinner. I try to keep from laughing so I don't scare the game away.

Miranda's pov

The boy and girl who come out here on occasions have taken over my shelter again. Now what am I gonna do. I hide behind a tree and wait for them to leave. But they're in there for hours and I'm getting tired. I dart across the clearing to a place where I sit. Ever since my parents died I've lived in the woods here. Stealing a little of this and that to get by. I'm not going to a foster home. I would rather die. Like my parents. I fight back the tears thinking about them.

Jason's pov

"What in God's name...." I lower my bow, squinting to see. "What is it, Jay?" "Look." I say, pointing. There's a girl. Who the heck is she? Where'd she come from? "Stay here." I whisper, carefully climbing down from the deer stand.

Miranda's pov

Oh thank goodness. They're finally leaving. I sling my pack over my shoulder and turn back around. My fear escalates seeing him walking toward my hiding place. My legs are shaking. If I run, he'll see me for sure! But if I stay, I'm a sitting duck. "Hey, who are you?" He shouts. Tears fill my eyes and fear grips me in waves. "Come out of there!"

Jason's pov

A girl about my age steps out from behind a halfway fallen over tree. "Who-" she takes off running and I stand there totally shocked and confused. Who the heck is she? I can still hear her careless footfalls as she runs away. I could tell she was terrified. I walk backwards to the deer stand, still staring in the direction she ran away in. "Come on Sierra let's go home." I say. She gets out of the deer stand too. "Who on earth was that?" She gapes, staring up at me. I scratch my head unsure, one hand on my hip. "I have no idea."