Episode 33: Doctor Death

Josie’s brother, Michael, lead Scott through the house. To the left, there was a set of glass French doors that opened onto a large, plush-looking living room. It was lit with black and red lights and strings of blue and red twinkle lights. It was also filled with people, standing, sitting, talking.

The hallway lead into the dining room, which also opened into the living room. The lighting was a bit brighter—orange bulbs and twinkle lights--

The large table—which would comfortably seat a dozen people—was loaded with black platters stacked with food, many in goulish designs.

Scott noticed someone pick up what appeared to be an index finger and give it a sniff. Then he looked around and, seeing Michael, called out to him. “Hey, Doc, what is this?”

“What does it look like, Stan?”

“A finger. You’re not bringing your work home with you, are you?”

Michael laughed. “No. It’s a sugar cookie with a sliver of almond for a fingernail. I think there’s a little dusting of cinnamon on it, too.”

“Ah.”

“Ariel found the recipe for it in a magazine. Isn’t it good?”

“Looks like a real finger,” Stan confirmed.

Michael lead Scott around the corner, to a set of basement steps. They had to stand back for a moment while a couple of hot women came up the stairs. The blonde woman in the lead was wearing a very skimpy nurse’s outfit that put all of her assets on display. Behind her was a woman in a black bouffant wig and an Elvira gown, which likewise had her attractively displayed.

They were chatting as they came up the stairs—Elvira complaining that the dress was ‘a pain in the ass’ to walk in—when the blonde looked up and noticed Michael and Scott at the top of the steps. “Hey, Michael,” she said with a grin.

“Hey Anna. I see you dressed to your occupation tonight, too.”

“Oh, but I’m bad Nurse Turner tonight.”

“I bet you are.”

“This is my friend, Stacey,” she said, gesturing to Elvira behind her. “She works in Billing.”

“Hello Stacey. Welcome to my House of Horrors.”

“Thank you,” she replied with a smile. “You have a really fabulous home.”

“Come back in December for our holiday party; it looks more normal then.”

“Thanks, I might do that.”

“Help yourself to food,” he said, gesturing back to the dining room. “There’s cokes and non-alcoholic drinks in there too, on the sideboard.”

“Thanks.”

The ladies passed by them, and Scott had to remind himself to not watch as they walked away; he needed to be on his very best behavior around Josie’s brother. But he noticed that Michael didn’t have the same qualms.

Michael noticed Scott look at him, and he grinned sheepishly. “As a doctor, I’m in the habit of always diagnosing people. That’s why I watch them.”

“Ah.” Scott started to follow Michael downstairs. “You know, as a lawyer, I’m in the habit of constantly sniffing out bullshit.”

Michael’s laughter echoed off the stairwell. “I would think, as a lawyer, that you would be in the habit of constantly making up bullshit.”

“You have to make it to understand it.”

“I see.”

The basement looked to be a man’s playground, with a large, open room that featured a leather sofa and two matching recliners, a plasma television, a pool table, and two antique pinball machines. There were some people playing the machines, and the pinging, clacking, and blooping of the machines almost overwhelmed the thump of the techno beat Scott had heard earlier.