8. "What's a condom?"

Start from the beginning

"Well, you don't really have a choice, love" my mum tells me with a small smirk, "I need you all to be there when we get the dresses because you all need to match and they all need to fit properly"

"Well, I can't wait to go look at bridesmaids dresses" Brittany chirps up in an overly-excited way that I know is so fake, "I'm so excited, Claire, we can make a whole day out of it and go out for lunch and get manicures together"

Fuck lunch and manicures; I'm not spending any more time with Brittany than is absolutely necessary.

"I don't think we'll have time for manicures, Brittany" my mum says quickly, "but we could have lunch before we go to the shop"

Brilliant. Can't think of anything I'd like more than to eat lunch with Brittany. Perhaps fight an alligator, or get married to Brad....

"Ooh okay, that sounds super exciting Claire" Brittany beams.

Does it? It's only bloody lunch...

"Get yourself ready, we're leaving half an hour"

It's not too long before the four of us are in my mum's car and driving towards the town centre. Brittany is, of course, sat in the front seat because she demanded it, but I don't mind because I get to catch up with Millie. She seems really excited to try on dresses.

Brittany is telling us about what she and Tiffany did at the spa yesterday ("the facials were totally super amazing, like, oh my god") when the song on the radio ends and the next one starts to play. It's Wake Up by The Vamps.

"Mum, mum, it's The Vamps!" Millie exclaims happily before Brittany starts squealing so loudly that I'm pretty sure she's damaged all of our hearing.

"Jesus" I mutter as Millie puts her hands over her ears.

"Ohmigod-ohmigod-oh my GOD!" Brittany is so excited, she's flapping about wildly in the front seat,"this is like, my fave!"

"Ow," Millie mumbles, still clutching at her poor ears.

"Oh, Brad sounds soooo good, like, he has the voice of an angel!" Brittany gushes, "ugh, I just love him so much!"

Of course she fucking does. She can have him. They suit each other just fine.

"How are you getting on with Brad, Ella?" My mum asks and I internally laugh.

"Wait, what?" Brittany hisses before I can reply.

"Brad lives with Tristan in his flat in  London" my mum explains, "so Ella is living with both of them"

"Ella is living with Brad?" Brittany seethes, and for the first time, I'm actually glad that Brad is my flatmate.

"Yes" my mum nods, before glancing at me in her rear-view mirror, "so are you getting on? Because you'd never met him before, had you?"

"We're like best friends," I say over-happily with a fake smile on my face, "...That cannot stand each other"

My mum frowns.

"Brad's a lovely young man"

"To you, maybe" I mutter.

"Why do you not get on?"