the one with the dark mark

Start from the beginning

There was already a small queue for the tap in the corner of the field. We joined it, right behind a pair of men who were having a heated argument. One of them was a very old wizard who was wearing a long flowery nightgown. The other was clearly a Ministry wizard; he was holding out a pair of pinstriped trousers and almost crying with exasperation. Because muggle women wore nightgowns. But the old wizard refused to wear the trousers.

Hermione was overcome with such a strong fit of the giggles at this point that she had to duck out of the queue and only returned when Archie, the Ministry wizard had collected his water and moved away.

Walking more slowly now, because of the weight of the water, we made our way back through the campsite. Occasionally, I contemplated using my magic. Here and there, we saw more familiar faces: other Hogwarts students with their families.

Oliver Wood, the old captain of Harry's House Quidditch team, who had just left Hogwarts, dragged Harry over to his parents' tent to introduce him, and told us excitedly that he had just been signed to the Puddlemere United reserve team. Next we were hailed by Ernie Macmillan, a Hufflepuff fourth year, and a little farther on we saw Cho Chang, who played Seeker on the Ravenclaw team. She waved and smiled at Harry, who slopped quite a lot of water down his front as he waved back. I smirked at him and he blushed looking down. He slopped some more water trying to stop me and Ron from smirking than anything. Then Harry hurriedly pointed out a large group of teenagers whom he had never seen before.

"You've been ages," said George when we finally got back to the Weasleys' tents.

"Met a few people," said Ron, setting the water down. "You not got that fire started yet?"

"Dad's having fun with the matches," said Fred.

Mr Weasley was having no success at all in lighting the fire, but it wasn't for lack of trying. Splintered matches littered the ground around him, but he looked as though he was having the time of his life.

"Oops!" he said as he managed to light a match and promptly dropped it in surprise.

"Come here, Mr Weasley," said Hermione kindly, taking the box from him, and showing him how to do it properly.

At last they got the fire lit, though it was at least another hour before it was hot enough to cook anything. There was plenty to watch while we waited, however. Our tent seemed to be pitched right alongside a kind of thoroughfare to the field, and Ministry members kept hurrying up and down it, greeting Mr. Weasley cordially as they passed. Mr Weasley kept up a running commentary, mainly for our benefit; his own children knew too much about the Ministry to be greatly interested.

"That was Cuthbert Mockridge, Head of the Goblin Liaison Office. . . Here comes Gilbert Wimple; he's with the Committee on Experimental Charms; he's had those horns for a while now. . . Hello, Arnie . . . Arnold Peasegood, he's an Obliviator - member of the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad, you know. . . and that's Bode and Croaker . . . they're Unspeakables. . . "

"They're what?" Harry asked.

"From the Department of Mysteries, top secret, no idea what they get up to," I said promptly. Mr Weasley looked astonished that I knew.

"I like collecting information, Mr Weasley," I said sheepishly.

At last, the fire was ready, and we had just started cooking eggs and sausages when Bill, Charlie, and Percy came strolling out of the woods toward us.

"Just Apparated, dad," said Percy loudly. "Ah, excellent, lunch!" I rolled my eyes at him and Charlie sniggered.

We were halfway through our plates of eggs and sausages when Mr Weasley jumped to his feet, waving and grinning at a man who was striding towards us.