Chapter One

~Scarlett fondled with her brown locks of curls as she gripped the bouquet of roses, gleaming bright with rouge. A gold ribbon bowed tightly around. A few balloons, connected to her wrist, floated beside Scarlett. On her right palm, She beheld a card that read, "Get well soon, Mom. ~Love, Scarlett". A small gift wrapped in wrapping paper and toped with a petite bow placed in the pocket of Scarlett's black coat.

~ The elevator doors gaped open as she stepped out. The hallway of the facility was ajar except for the few nurses that scurried along to their patients. A few stood against a nearby their quarters, jotting on a clipboard.

~Scarlett strolled though the silent clearance, her heels clattering with each footfall. She finally discovered her Mother, her glasses settled on the desk beside a musty hardcover. She laid tranquil in the sheets, a quilt layered across. Her breath seemed to tremble and murmur. At first, her lips curled to a frown, but began to beam with a soothed smile. She crept in, glanced at the fatigue women, then pressed her lips on her Mother's forehead and she stroked her hair gently. Parting away, Scarlett clutched the palm of her hand and retrieved the gift from her coat. She opened the gift which revealed a music box.

~It had a gold linen that edged though the shined wood and a shimmering plate that was titled, "Blessing". Scarlett lifted the lid till you could see the angels twirl, and settled it on the ledge of the desk. The music box trilled and twinkled as a single melody echoed. It was a lullaby Scarlett would sing to her mother. Scarlett's mother furrowed her eyebrow and grunted, but eventually relaxed. She dropped the bouquet in a narrow vase and stripped a rose from the other pairs. She coiled the single rose on her mother's fingertips.

~"Please get well soon...", Scarlett hushed in her mother's ear.

~Without a final glance, Scarlett hurried off, the sound of a hum and the ringing of the lullaby vibrating the hospital with a sliver of a sweet memory. The melody seemed to linger till it suddenly twirled to a halt. The elevator traveled to the lobby where Scarlett trailed off, a feeling of dread sprouting.