Joe wasn't having it: he barked at her to shut her mouth. "You're not kids anymore. I'm not going to hold your hand and force you to apologise to each other. If you don't like someone, avoid them. Don't talk to them. Don't hit them. Don't instigate a fight and act innocent."

"Why are you looking at us, sir?" Rachel asked sourly.

"Because I'm talking about you," Joe snapped. "You got a problem with someone? Take it out my class. If any of you disrupt my class again, you won't be sitting your Law exams. Now get out. I only have an hour for lunch and I don't fancy spending it nagging at you."

Everyone scrambled out. The five of us silently walked down the corridor, avoiding each other's gazes. It was tense. Ivy was steaming but no-one really cared. We then split into two groups of two and three. Yolande, Bryson and I headed to the canteen. "Thanks for that." I said.

Yolande pushed a few stray curls from her forehead and shrugged. "Irvin told me to look out for you. You really shouldn't let them walk all over you."

"I didn't."

"And don't accept punishment so easily. Joe's a good guy but he refuses to see what'll cost him effort."

"So about Joe and Ivy...?"

Bryson spoke. "He's a good looking guy."

"Debatable." Yolande said.

"Seriously? What is he, forty? I pulled a face.

"So?" Yolande said. "Older guys are experienced."

My eyebrows rose and then fell. "Hmm." I shouldn't turn my nose up at Joe considering I've slept with both Doriano and Cole. It was hypocritical of me but that didn't mean I didn't have standards. Sleeping with a teacher was a messy cliché.

Yolande waved goodbye to us and promised to catch up with us later. For now she headed to the library, pencil stuck behind her ear, coursework on her mind. Bryson rocked on his heels for a moment and looked at me. "Wanna grab lunch?"

"Sure."

**

In English, Lauren instructed the class to get into pairs. The seat next to me was empty. Pari wasn't here. I had to turn around and work with the twins: Amy and Annie. They falsely smiled at me and although it was awkward and edgy working with them, we got through the booklet and answered all the questions by the time Lauren came round to check up on us. "You haven't heard from Pari, have you?" Lauren asked, hand on hip.

I shook my head and Lauren hummed. "Weird." She walked off to help another student.

Amy waited for a minute before leaning forward and casually asking. "So did you tell?"

"What?"

"On us." Annie said impatiently. Her sister shot her a glare to quieten down but Annie persisted. "You said you were going to last week. You know we were only joking. Pari is our friend even though she is a – a ..." She trailed off.

"A lesbian?" I finished for her. "And no, I didn't."

Amy beamed. "Cool! Are you free after class today? Annie and I were thinking of heading to Pari's house and checking up on her. See if she's okay. Maybe chuck a couple of magazines and ice cream tubs at her." That sounded ...awful. Poor Pari.

Annie looked at Amy in surprise. "We are?" She clearly couldn't contain her horror at the idea. Her eyebrows shot up to her hairline and she looked disgusted.

"I'm good," I said. Amy waited for an excuse but that was all I offered and she huffed to herself.

"Too good for us, huh?"