CHAPTER 1- LA VITA NUOVA

La Vita Nuova

They say love is an addiction. Like heroin, it becomes a part of you, a sense of euphoria; a high too difficult to recover from. Some might call it a perfect illusion; almost too beautiful to feel real yet almost too real to feel like a dream. Others might call it the key to redemption. But with love comes heartbreak, a period of sadness and grief; and with grief comes anger and pain. We are born into this world to love, to create a bond and to derive strength from it; but the strength of the bond cannot be known until it is tested.

DECEMBER 8TH 2012

The heels of my Valentino pumps hit the pavement as I exited the Aston Martin; wisps of the gentle californian breeze hitting my face in the process. I handed the keys to the valet standing at the corner, noticing his over eager expression at the sight of my car.

"One scratch and you'll be looking for another job" I mentioned, noticing the smile on his face drop at my words. He nodded his head in understanding, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down. Not giving him anymore attention, I turned and made my way to the entrance of the L'ermitage hotel where the event was being held.

As usual, the incessant chatter of the elite social scene was all I could hear once I entered the extravagant furnishing of the colossal space. Soft music played through the speakers, as I watched the various guest donned with millions of dollars worth of accessories, not a flaw in their already botoxed faces. Once my presence became known, the whispers started, the lot of them most likely wondering who I was. I couldn't blame them, I'd be curious if I were in their position too. One thing socialites loved more than a good party was gossip, considering I'd been on the receiving end of many rumours over the years.

"Veronica". I turned towards the source of the sound, noticing a familiar pair of brown eyes approaching my direction. Jacqueline De La Fontaine. Six feet, gorgeous ,with every single pore of her oozing sex and money. I had only been in Beverly Hills for a week, yet I knew how much of an influence she was around here. Her golden brown hair was pulled into a tight chignon, make up done to perfection as she donned one of her father's many creations; a red Anatole strapless floor length gown.

"I'm so glad you could come" she mentioned as she kissed both sides of my cheeks.

"I should be glad you invited me", I replied with the same smile I had practised to perfection over the years.

"Anything for my new neighbour." She laughed, before her eyes trailed down to the blue Atelier Versace gown. "Oh darling, your dress, its... Stunning. Versace?" I nodded my head in agreement, smiling at her excitement.

"I knew there was a reason I liked you" she said, clapping her hands. "Come dear, there are a lot of people I would love to introduce you to", I wanted to protest but she had already hooked her arms with mine, walking me graciously towards the direction of a middle aged couple.

"Lorraine, Richard I'd love for you to meet Veronica Stanton. She moved into the Caldwell manor a week ago. Veronica, this is Richard and Lorraine Hamilton, the hosts of this beautiful gathering"

"Aah so you're the mystery woman everyone's been talking about" Richard interrupted before I could say anything.

"Well I'm not much of a mystery. I moved here from New York last week"

"Hmm... any relation to Bill Stanton, CEO of Tech Innovations?" he asked, his voiced laced with curiosity. I knew this question would surface. It was part of the pride I held as being the daughter of the technological god of this generation. It earned me a decent amount of respect and envy.

"Yes, I happen to be his daughter. I'm actually here to manage the branch in Beverly Hills"

He beamed at me, the same way everyone did when they knew my status.