Chapter 5 - Blind Fury

I had expected that at a military base they would not have had cheesy elevator music. I was wrong. I was forced to fine-tune my ears to a mundane loop of dull piano and tinkling bells. I tapped Clint's shoulder gently.
"What's up?" He signed. I tapped my right ear.
"Hearing is back, could you talk normally?" He nodded and turned to Coulson.
"Such lovely weather we're having for the time of year!" He said jovially. Coulson raised an eyebrow.
"It's raining, Barton." Clint shrugged.
"We're in the UK. This could be normal for all I know!" Clint winked at me. Coulson sighed loudly, just as the lift doors made a high pitched ding and slid open. Coulson guided us down a maze of corridors until we arrived at a large office. The silver plate on the door read "Director Fury".
"Does this guy have an anger management problem?" I grinned. Coulson jumped slightly at the sudden reappearance of my voice.
"Jesus." Clint groaned, shaking his head. I snapped my fingers and smirked at him.
The door suddenly clicked open, revealing a tall man in a trench coat. Director Fury turned to face us.
"Please do come in." Fury gestured for me to take a seat. I nervously sat, and couldn't help but notice the two security guards step forwards.
"I received a phone call this morning, telling me that a teenage girl had somehow healed severe retinal damage and facial burns." Fury said. "Was this you?"
"Uhh, I guess?"
"Was that an answer or a question?"
"Are you a bloody teacher?" I muttered.
"I heard that." Fury said.
"Oh."
"How did you do it?"
"I don't know."
"Who or what gave you this ability?"
"I don't know." I said angrily.
"You must know something about it." Fury grimaced.
"What I do know is that my family is dead, and I am not, so I am very very angry about that. I also know that there are people dying in my town and I am here being interrogated by the army who don't seem to give a shit about them!"
Fury looked angry, then he relaxed.
"I understand." He said. "I'll arrange for a car to take you back, then I can send out some units to help deal with the casualties."
"Thanks."
I turned to leave, but one of the guards grabbed my arm. Without thinking, I pushed him and twisted away. A sickening crunch echoed in the room, and the guard collapsed on the floor, screaming.
"Code Yellow!" Coulson shouted. Clint pulled his bow and notched an arrow.
"I didn't mean-"
"Put your hands on your head and kneel on the floor!" The second guard barked, aiming a hand gun at my chest. "Do it, do it now!"
"Oh my god." I grasped the door handle behind me and swung the door open.
BLAM
The force of the bullet knocked me back into the wall. Air exploded out of my lungs as a hit the floor, and I gasped for breath like a fish out of water.
"Oh god!" I moaned, staring at the hole in my side. I placed my hand over the wound, willing it to close. Blood dribbled out, and then so did the bullet.
"Jesus Christ!" I heard Clint curse, but I ignored him, focusing on healing, then shakily stood up.
"That was rude." I mumbled, slurring the words like I was drunk. The world seemed to be swimming around me, and everything seemed unreal, dreamlike. Clint picked me up, despite my groaning protests, and took me down another maze of corridors until we reached a door labelled "Medical Unit".
"I'm gonna throw up." I mumbled, and Clint quickly placed me on a bed. I closed my eyes and tried not to think about blood or the fact that I'd just been shot.
"Here you go," Clint handed me a plastic bowl. "It's all yours."
"Thanks." I sniffed. Despite the fact that I had healed completely, I could feel a ghost pain in my abdomen where the bullet had hit. I remembered the impact, the spurt of blood and the way I hit the wall and suddenly I was gagging and spitting bile into the bowl.
"Oh god." I moaned. My stomach was cramping and my throat burned from the acidic puke.
"It's okay," Clint reassured me. "You're going to be fine."
"People keep saying that," I grimaced. "I'm still not convinced."
Clint stood up.
"I'm going to go talk to Fury. You stay here and rest for a while, you just got shot for Christ's sake!" He strode out, and judging by the anger in his eyes, a shouting match was about to start. I closed my eyes and massaged my temples, hoping that the craziness would soon come to an end.