Chapter 4

I wake up feeling energized. I look in the corner of the room to see Dylan still sleeping. I walk over and prod his waist with my feet. He groans before slightly opening his eyes. He closes them once more before rolling over to get sit up. I wait as he yawns and arches his back to stretch. He looked so funny when he yawned it was kind of cute. I frown at my thoughts. You can't think like that Kyla. Focus on the task at hand.

    "Kyla? Are you okay?" I come back to reality to see Dylan waving his hands in front of my face.

    "What? Oh, yeah I'm fine." I say stuttering.

    "Yeah, okay" He says looking unconvinced. "So when do you want to start looking for others?" I stare at him blankly before I realize what he is talking about."

    "Oh, um, we can go now actually." He nods and puts his coat on before leaving. I follow him grabbing my own jacket along the way. We walk the streets silently.

    "So how do you want to do this? If we are going to try and help the younger ones first, how are we going to get their trust?" I ask breaking the silence. Dylan simply shrugs.

    "Let's see what happens when we try." He says. I sigh. One of these times, he was going to get himself into trouble, and there would be no getting away with it. He didn't seem to care about what he did. He just went with the flow of things. I wish I could be like that. I plan out my day every single morning because I needed something in my life to tell me what to do. Although in this case it was myself, it still helped. When Dylan came, I realized that I had stopped and simply went with what needed to be done. I smiled at the thought.

    "Oof," I grunt as I bump into Dylan. "What are you do----" I am cut off as I see what he is looking at. It is the young girl from earlier. She is limp on the ground, but I could still see that she was struggling to breath. Another boy, slightly older, kneeled over her, his body shaking. I look at Dylan before slowly walking over to the boy and putting my hand on his shoulder. He slightly jumps and turns to look at me. I smile comfortingly.

    "Are you okay?" He shakes his head sobbing. "Did you know this girl?" I ask him. He nods.

    "She was my little sister." He says in between sobs.

    "It's okay. Everything is going to be all right." I tell him, "I'm going to do my best to help you sister okay?" He nods. I stand up and hold out my hand. He takes it and stands up. He looks at his younger sister once more before crying again. He looks away and hugs me, crying into my shirt. I stumble back a little, surprised that this young boy already trusted me so much. I hug him back comforting him. I pick him up and he continues to cry into my shoulder. I walk over to Dylan. He pats the young boys back before going to the young girl and picking her up as gently as possible. I was glad he didn't question my actions. These two kids needed help, and I wasn't just going to ignore that. We walk back to the hideout silently.

When we reach the hide out, Dylan and I go to separate ends of the room. I try to put the boy down so that I can help Dylan with the girl before I notice that he is asleep. I slightly smile before slowly laying him down. He slightly clings to my shirt before letting go. I look over to Dylan to see that he has already put the girl down. He gets my bucket of water that I had put outside while it was raining a couple days ago. He rips a small piece of his shirt of and uses it as a cloth to wash off her cuts. I watch him mesmerized. I had never seen someone be so gentle. When he finishes I walk over and put my hand on his shoulder, letting him know that I could do the rest. He nods and walks over to the corner of the room and sitting down. I look down at the girl and I almost cry. Her small frail body was covered in bruises and she was extremely thin from the obvious lack of food. Gently, I take off her clothes and use a cloth to wash her down. I wince as she whimpers from time to time. I gently put her clothes back on and I move the hair out of her face. She looked so innocent and sweet, I couldn't believe that somebody had just put her out on the streets. I look over to the other side of the room to see Dylan asleep next to the boy. I smile. I look back to the girl and continue to stroke her hair. The room starts to get darker as the sun goes down. Slowly, I fall asleep