Worst, It was Raining (Short Story)

Dear Ate Meilabs, this is dedicated to you. Thanks for the document you’ve given me. It truly inspired me to write this short story. Promise!

To readers: Hi! Hope you’ll like it! I wrote it with a heart <3

------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Do not be angry with the rain; it simply does not know how to fall upwards.” 
― 
Vladimir Nabokov

Worst, it was raining…

One night, on the 22nd day of June 2012, I forgot to bring my umbrella.  Then, it suddenly rained.  I was stranded to the place where I least wanted to stay, while wishing that as soon as possible, a cab would pass by so I could instantly run away from there.  I waited.    A minute.  5 minutes.  10 minutes.

“Damn this rain!” I couldn’t help myself from uttering those words as I waited and stayed longer.  Of all places, why in that place again?  Of all the possible moments, why that one?

As I was standing outside, while waiting for the rain to stop, moments of a night a year before automatically flashed back.  It had always kept playing in my mind over and over again.

 ***

June 22, 2011.  McDonald’s restaurant. 

“Yes, I’m already here.”   I was talking with him in the phone, while waiting in one of the tables in the first floor of the restaurant. 

“No, it’s okay.  I’ll wait for you here.”  I told him.  He said that he’d be late for several minutes.  He was just out from his work and already on his way to the place.

 “Take care.  I lo--“   Before I could even finish speaking, he already hung up.  The rain was pouring heavily outside.  The sight of it gave me goose bumps.

It was past six in the evening and the restaurant was a bit crowded that time.  There were different kinds of people chatting and strolling around.  The place was starting to get noisier and more crowded as the time passed by.  I didn’t pay much attention to them and I didn’t even care much about those things around me.  I was just there, sitting and still waiting for his arrival.

I was intently looking outside, hoping that I’d see him.   After almost half an hour of waiting, there in the other side of the road, I already saw his figure.  I stood up and went outside, then waved at him.  He as well did while smiling.

He got no umbrella or even a cap.  So, the rain was pouring freely to his head down to his body, making his clothes started to soak.  He looked around to check the road.  He’s getting wet and I silently scolded myself for being unprepared.  I also got no umbrella with me.  He immediately started running from the other side to cross the road.  I felt grateful by the sight of him, the love of my life.

Then suddenly, my heart almost skipped a beat.  My smile slowly faded away.  Everything seemed play in a slow motion.  I could still vividly see in my memory the way he smiled at me, without knowing that it could be the last.  I held my breath as my world stopped.  I gasped.  Then, it happened.   I could still remember how the fast-running truck hit him, how his body was bumped and was thrown distantly.