The Stranger

It was a beautifully warm morning. Ganhumara woke and felt strangely happy. Even in the old days when she had a mum and a dad and a home like everybody else she was miserable. Nine turned to ten, ten to eleven and she had never been outside of Camelot. Ganhumara had adored to watch the knights ride out on adventures with the then prince. Now what wouldn't she give to be bored out of her skull and safe everyday. It was a lifetime away. Bobbie lay in the grass and breathed deeply. Sometime she would go and look for breakfast. Sometime she would have to refill her water skin. But not now.

It all happened so quickly. The crossbow bolt hit the ground near her head. Jumping up, she ducked for cover and tried to get hold of her dog or sword. Two more missed her and then:

A terrifying howl. An arrow hit Bobbie squarely in the side. He fell to the ground and whimpered so pitifully it would break anybody's heart. "Bobbie!" she screamed. Not caring about the arrows, she ran to her dog.

"No, no, no, this can't be happening, it can't be," she said. Tears began to seep down her face. Those two long lonely years had been bearable because of him. They were a team; his senses and her intelligence. Without him she would be alone. So very vulnerable. . .

A raven haired woman in a black cloak and hood stepped out. "Here." she said. "An apple. You look too thin." Ganhumara turned around from bending over Bobbie. "Let me stay with him," she said. "Please." The last word had a steely edge to it.

She stroked Bobbie's brown fur and looked into his hazel eyes. Under her left palm she could feel his blood seeping out with his life. "I am so sorry." He licked her hand one last time before he stopped breathing.

"No, don't die, Bobbie, please, I don't have anyone left now, you can't leave me, you just can't," she sobbed desperately.

"You can't do anything now. Leave him to sleep." the strange woman said.

Ganhumara blinked away her tears and looked at the stranger. They were similar; thick black hair, green eyes and pale faces. But the woman had grace and poise and dignity and beauty, of which Ganhumara had none. When her sobs had stopped coming so thick and fast the stranger spoke again.

"Eat. You look too thin." she repeated. Ganhumara took the apple but did not eat it. "It's not poisoned, I promise." Still she did not eat it.

"Did you organise to kill Bobbie?" she asked. "No," the stranger replied. "The arrows were to merely attract your attention." She waited. "We can do this the easy or hard way. You can help me take revenge in Camelot and get a reward or you can bring down Camelot and then be killed."

"How could you make me destroy the citadel? I wouldn't anyway, not for the world. My brother lives there."

"Easily. I can help you get your mother and brother to safety and you can take revenge on your father and my brother or you can be enchanted and perish along with them all."

All Ganhumara wanted was to go and cry about Bobbie but she could not show weakness to this woman. "Or I can run away," she replied and started to sprint in the opposite direction desperately.

The woman sighed. "The second idea then. Pity. She could have been interesting to talk to." Then she moved her right hand suddenly and the girl came crashing to the floor at the foot if a large oak tree.

The two men with the crossbows seized her and the stranger whispers a spell. Ganhumara was tried to the tree with invisible cords. "Don't worry. You won't remember anything. Ever again." Ganhumara struggled. She wanted to burst into tears at the sight of Bobbie. The woman looked at her quizzically. "You are a conundrum wrapped in a mystery with mud in your hair. Why are you so crucial to my brother and his pathetic friend?"

"I don't understand." Ganhumara said, struggling. 'Why magic? Not just ropes? And who is your brother? How do you know me?"

"Dreams." the stranger laughed. "You will help me get what is rightfully mine, unwillingly or not. And you should know why I haven't used rope." Her voice became soft and silky. "You would just burn your way out. You are important to my plans and you can control fire. But whom exactly are you?"

The girl smiled. "Who exactly? Ganhumara Lazara Severa, aged 15 years and eight months. My friends call me Mara. But whom are you?"

"It does not matter Mara; you won't remember this conversation."

The spell looked like a mist; creeping its way into Mara's mind. It entered and the woman's voice was in her head.

The game is chaos, it said. Play to win and your death might not be so painful.

A corner affected with grief from Bobbie's death, the part that was her own, didn't like this. No thanks, she thought. I want to. . .

When her bright green eyes opened once more, they had threads of amber woven into them. The woman smiled kindly. "Camelot is east of here. You know your story? Then go."

Mara walked away. There was not the usual buzz of activity around her. Her eyes were not searching and her hands were not twitching towards the weapons in her belt. Her walk to the castle was serene and she could not remember that day. Her amber eyes were cold and ruthless as the stranger's mind clouded her own.

Morgana Pendragon smiled. The one to play was chaos. And her best piece was ready to start the game.

******************************************************************************************************************A/N. Finally, something happened!!! I'll update soon, I promise! In the meantime, please comment and vote!

P.S. Disclaimer: All rights belong to the BBC. Not me.