A meeting

Two days earlier

Merlin had started to sympathise with the chickens at Christmas. It was nearly Arthur's birthday, and therefore was more intolerable than usual.

However, it was nice in the field. Banished for the day by the knights, the boys were waiting until all surprises had been cleared from sight for the next day. So Merlin made the best of the day. Listening to the wind rustling through the wheat, the July sun strangely warm and Arthur had fallen asleep so it was peaceful.

Truly, he thought, even if Arthur hadn't been the prince he would have stolen all their hearts away because he had charisma. The one that make everybody like him.

Merlin sighed.

The next day would be just work for an ungrateful king, but today would be full of delightful slacking off. Sadly then, Arthur woke up.

"How long left?" he said.

"Can't be long." Merlin replied without opening his eyes. "Percival said he'd tell us when to go back."

"How soon is now, then?" Arthur said. He sat up and started to throw clumps of grass at Merlin.

"We could explore," Merlin suggested.

"Explore? You've got the mind of a child."

" I don't mind. If not, then maybe it's time that the tale were said of how you made a child old through overwork."

"Fine. Only an hour. And Merlin, you've got grass in your hair."

"Your fault."

Still arguing, they walked to the edge of the Darkling Woods. They had only been walking for ten minutes when they came across a camp. Just a pile of blankets and the remains of a fire, but still a camp.

"Whose do you think it is? It can't be bandits - only one person could have slept here," said Arthur.

Just then, a large dog not akin to a small, brown wolf jumped at then and started growling. Next came a girl, not yet fifteen by all appearances and with dark hair and eyes the colour of pine needles.

"No, Bobbie, no!" the girl said and the dog stopped trying to lunge at them but still growled. The stranger waited before saying, "Sorry. He doesn't like people."

"That's not an excuse!" Arthur shouted.

"Have you been living here?" Merlin asked.

"Yes," she said and turned her eyes down. "My father does not want me anymore and I do not know where my mother or brother are."

Her and Merlin each took a step back and surveyed each other critically.

Merlin saw that she had hollow cheeks and was awfully thin. Her eyes were sad and ancient and her clothes so torn it was as though they had been tailored with a a carving knife. A many patched red shirt and a black jacket were clean, but the ripped brown trousers had muddy patches on the knees. They were tucked into over large men's boots. Around her waist was a heavy belt, wrapped twice round her thin frame. But it was strong enough to carry a water skin, dagger and a long, shiny sword. Two of her finger nails had been pulled out.

The girl had often seen Arthur and Merlin around Camelot and thought how they balanced each other - dark and blonde, pessimistic and happy, loyal and dutiful, completely crazy and utterly sane.

"Who are you?" Arthur said gently.

"I'm nobody important. A girl and her dog."

"I know that your dog is called Bobbie. What's your name? Tell me and we can help you."

She had started to panic, Merlin could see that in her eyes. "Ganhumara. That's my first name." She paused. "I sound like a character in a fairytale. I love fairy tales."

Then there was a noise. "Arthur? Where are you?" It was Percival. "Gwen says get back before Gwaine eats all of the apples."

She ran then, her dog at her heels. Arthur and Merlin walked away. Just before they reached Percival, Merlin turned to Arthur.

"I wouldn't believe that that is the last anyone shall she of Ganhumara."