03; awkward encounters

Don't you just hate it when you really like someone and they never pay any attention to you?

Yeah, me too.

Luke Robert Hemmings is the worst person to fall for. Yes, he has all the traits of a literal god, but that just makes everything more difficult. It is almost as if he isn't even human. He  is more of an angel. 

I also highly doubt he even dates or commits, with the rumours going around, he just sleeps with anything that can move. The thought makes me shudder.

"Move out the way, freak!" Someone yelled, shoving me and making me fall backwards.

My body hit the floor with a hard thump, making me groan. My books had scattered everywhere and I contemplated just laying there for all eternity.

"Fuck off, Asher." 

"Get a sense of humour, Hood."

My eyes widened at the name. I open my eyes that I didn't even realise I had closed and unfortunately my ears had not deceived me. Calum Hood stood infront of me, holding out a hand.

I hesitated, unsure if this was a sincere gesture. He smiled at me, to my surprise not a cocky smile or a deceiving smile, a genuine smile. Something I'm not the most familiar with. I returned a small smile, accepting his helping hand.

"Ignore him. He's an asshole. Kinda like that other jock in the cafeteria the other day. You're welcome by the way." The tanned boy spoke, humour in his voice.

I felt a blush creep onto my cheeks at his words, biting my lip as I quickly straightened out my skirt. "T-thankyou." I stuttered, mentally face palming myself.

"Don't think you're some sort of tough guy now, Hood. Just cause you landed one punch which merely left a scratch on Jay. You're a joke." Asher snapped.

Calum just rolled his eyes, helping me gather up my scattered books. He bit his tongue, not wanting to add to his already bruised face. I felt a pang of guilt for just rushing away and not even thanking him for sticking up for me. Calum and I were far from being strangers, I suppose I at least owed him a thankyou. Although, I never asked him to do that for me, I was caught off guard. I was sure he hated me.

The truth is, Calum is my next door neighbour. We used to hang out a lot, our parents sharing interets and often combining barbeques in summer and Christmas parties later on in the year. We became close. I was a teenager admist confusing feelings and changes all around me. I didn't understand anything I was feeling. One night, I kissed Calum. It didn't last long, for I was immediately shoved away. I was mortified.

Not that I blame him, but he never spoke to me again. I never dared to try and speak to him. However, here he is, defending me from bullies, for the second time this week. I couldn't help but question, why now? He had witnessed me being picked on multiple times and never stepped in to help. Just carried on walking. What's changed?

As my mind flooded with all of these questions that would probably never be answered, I gathered up the remainder of my books, despite Calum having already picked up most of the mess across the marble flooring of the hallway.

"By the way, there was definitely at least a scratch on Jacob." Calum smirked at me. "I broke his nose."

I audibly gasped. "You didn't."

"I did." He chuckled lightly. "Deserves him right."

I let out a small giggle. This felt odd but also strangely nice. Talking to him after so long of radio silence.

"I can take those now." I said shyly, gesturing to the papers that Calum had picked up and was currently holding.

"Oh right yeah, duh." He said, an awkward tone taking over in his once carefree and confident voice. Once he handed them over, he scratched the back of his neck. "So um, Michael."

"So um, Calum?"

"I was wondering if we could maybe talk about-"

I watched in horror as ice cold water was dumped over his head, cutting his sentence off short as he cursed. "What the actual... Fuck?!"

The culprit was already rushing off, but no doubt it was a jock, in retaliation to Jacob's broken nose. I bit my lip, looking at the wet boy in front me.

"You look like a wet dog." I let out, trying to lighten the mood once again.

"This isn't funny, Mike. I don't even have a spare change of clothes!" The boy grumbled, shivering.

I sighed, nodding in understanding. I told him that the front office have spare clothes in the chance that a pupil is breaking the dress code, which is every day, but I think they gave up caring. On that note, we walked in silence to the said destination, making small talk about nothing of high importance.

"What happened here then?" The lady at the front desk asked, sliding her glasses up the bridge of her nose.

"Hood got pranked." An amused voice spoke, making me jump slightly. "Say, you got off lucky. If that were one of my pranks you wouldn't just have a  mild case of hypothermia and need a change of clothes."

My eyes widened, as I looked in the direction of where the voice was coming from. I'm not sure how I didn't recognise straight away.

"Alright, Hemmings, settle down. I didn't ask for your input." The woman scolded, which went in one ear and out another by the looks of it.

"Poor Cal-Pal." Luke smirked, striding towards us.

My heart was racing, to say the least.

"Go fuck yourself, Luke." Calum sneered, rolling his eyes.

"Language!" Another scold came from the impatient office lady. I found myself apologising to her quietly, despite doing nothing wrong myself.

Luke faked offense, hand to his heart. "Why Cal, how could you say such a thing?" He paused, glancing in my direction.

Oh god, I was not prepared for this. Am I standing weirdly? Is my hair a mess? Are my lips chapped? Have I got anything stuck in my teeth? Alright, Michael don't hyperventilate, he just glanced in your direction. It means absolutely nothing.

"How could you say such a thing, when you know that there are so many people, who would love," Pausing once again, his eyes darted back in my direction. "To have me in their bed."

He looked at me. He looked at me whilst he said that entire thing. Does he know? No. Surely not.

"Oh, Lukey!" A high pitched voice giggled from behind me.

That makes much more logical sense. Although I would have been mortified if Luke Hemmings knew of my undying love for him, I can't help but feel slightly dissapointed.

"Sorry, mate. I can't hear you over the size of your ego." Calum beamed, hitting Luke playfully on the shoulder.

They're friends? The plot thickens.

"You know you love it really." Luke winks. "See you later, yeah? With dry clothes on this time." He added, laughing once more. That damn laugh.

Calum nodded, turning his attention back to getting a spare change of clothes, shivering yet again.

I continued to stand there awkwardly next to Calum, as Luke walked past me, the rather annoying bimbo following closely behind him.

-----

Anddd there we have it, Hemmo is here, and some history with Malum ooooh, thought I would throw some cake in there also. I promise this is a muke fanfic hahah, but I dont wanna rush it!! Trust the process :)

vote & share xo