Chapter Fifty Three - Fury

Start from the beginning

A hand slowly covered my own, my eyes lifting until they met Alexis', "River couldn't have known what was going to happen and not no one even contemplated the possibility that Miranda would go this far." She bit back a sob, "River made a mistake and he's always going to live with that guilt but that girl..."

I clenched my teeth. The confirmation had come in once Mr Heath had finished making arrangements with Blackbourne Investigations to have the hospital guarded against the reporters still gathering outside. Miranda Cole had organised for her friends to ask as a distraction while someone slipped by and dropped the drug into Alira's glass and then she had pushed her out into the middle of the road with no intention of calling for help before the GHB killed her.

While Alexis had already forgiven River his decision, I knew that both Mr Heath and I were not going to be so easily satisfied.

"Miss Cole and her associates will all be taken care of," Timothy assured us both, his voice so cold that I felt a shiver creep down my spine. No matter that my profession was as a world-class martial artist, I was definitely not the scariest person in the room. "And as for River, he will..."

As though by some twist of fate, the sound of his name appeared to summon him. The solid door was pushed inward as my little brother came storming into the room.

I tried to prevent, every calming technique Grey had ever taught running through my mind but I couldn't slow the racing of heart or push away the feeling betrayed devastation. I had entrusted this person with one of the most precious things that I had ever held. Rage punched through me so swiftly that I gasped under the onslaught.

I couldn't see his frantic eyes, pale face and trembling fingers. With red descending over my vision, I never noticed the ripped and dirty state of his shirt or the scrapes, bruises and blood. The split lip and busted knuckles meant nothing as I heard a sound reminiscent of a freight train, my bare feet barely touching the ground as I charged him.

There was no time for him to do anything other than cower as I lost complete and utter control. My body had been honed to fight, my punches powerful enough to do serious damage...and I turned all of that training, all of that leashed feral emotion on a person who in the eyes of every UFC contestant was defenceless.

With one right cross, I felt and heard things in his face breaking. His glasses flew somewhere across the room as I watched his eyes roll up behind his lids. There was nothing he could do against me and one more hit would kill him if I aimed for the right place.

I would have done it, there was no sanity, but strong arms restrained me. The grip locked forearms just below both my shoulders, ensuring that I had to pull back unless I wanted to have them both dislocated.

"Calm down," A heavily accented voice cautioned as he pulled my back against his brutal front. "Killing him will do nothing except hurt everyone more."

My chest heaved as I tried to find some sort of control, River collapsed at my feet with his face a mess and his eyes closed.

A doctor came running in, his body joining others as I began to realise that the room had filled with members of Timothy's protective team.

"What on Earth?" The blonde man in green scrubs exclaimed, dropping to his knees to ensure that there was a pulse. "What happened to him?"

"The two Mr Daimons appear to have had a disagreement, Dr Neas," A smooth voice answered, the speaker somewhere behind me as I finally began to slump in the relentless hold.

"I'll need to move him to his own room," The doctor announced. "His cheekbone, at least, is fractured."

"I'll want to speak to him when he wakes up," Mr Heath announced, his voice gruff as he walked over and gestured for his guard to release me. "Make sure he gets the best care and one of you should retrieve his parents." Those intense eyes locked on my own, "Enough, Heath. You brother has some explaining to do when he recovers and it's obvious that Alira wasn't the only one to get into trouble tonight."

I barely acknowledged him. My eyes were on River's body as it was loaded onto a bed and wheeled away. Everything was still a jumbled mess as I dropped my chin to my chest, breathing through the burning need find someone else to hurt.

I was completely fucked up and I knew that River would need his chance to explain but in that moment, I didn't give a shit.

"Alira..." Alexis suddenly cried, the tears in her voice making me spin around to face the bed, the sight of my broken brother forgotten as I realised that those beautiful eyes were slowly starting to flutter open. "Timothy, she's waking up!"

Her father and I both raced back over, each of us clasping a hand as we all silently willed the drugged fog to recede just long enough for us to find some reassurance.

"Hey, baby," I whispered, my cheeks wet as I tried to make my lips tilt up.

"Hi," She breathed before giving into the trauma and slipping back into unconsciousness, her fingers curling tight around my own.