Chapter 1: Emotional Morning

(The pic is Brooks)

"Brooks, you need to wake up. I've got donuts downstairs for you," my best friend, Codi said. I opened my eyes and met her green eyes. I groaned.

"Is it a school day?" I asked her, my eyes finally adjusting to the light.

"Yeah, but I got donuts," she told me. I groaned again and sat up.

"What type of donuts?" I said, looking at her again.

"Lemon filling," she told me. I almost jumped out of bed.

"Yessssssss, thank you so much Codi!" I said fist-pumping the air.

"Get dressed and come down quick," she said, laughing. Then she walked out of my purple room. I love having her around. Ever since my dad left she's been taking care of me because I am a very immature person. I've known her for so long and she's always been a big sister to me. Sometimes I even call her sis.

After a long while of me trying to pick out my clothes, I finally go down stairs. My deep sad thoughts fill my mind once again. I look down at my converse shoes the whole way through the hallway and when I get to the kitchen I stop.

"Codi, why did my parents leave?" I asked her for the hundredth time, my eyes burning with tears. I feel so emotional these days. School days.

"Oh Brookie. I'm really not the person you should ask, but I am truly sorry. It must be so hard," she told me, putting down a plate and walking over to me.

"It's not that I don't appreciate what you are doing, but why are you doing this? You've got a family don't you?" I asked her. She hugged me and rubbed my shoulders.

"Brooke, it's all really complicated, but I'm doing this because I love you and I will be here for you, forever. My family is you now," she told me, her voice muffled by my sweater.

"I love you too, Codi," I said. We pulled away and I wiped the tears from my eyes.

"Now, let's devour these donuts," Codi said grinning maliciously. I laughed and grinned with her as we pounced on the delicious lemon jelly filled donuts.

The sound of the bus clunking down the street filled my mind and I try to think of how busses were made instead of my personal life. I like filling my brain with other thoughts other than my real deep ones.

"Brooks, come on. Before the bad kids get on," Codi said. I jump onto the bus with her and we sit on the seats right in front of the stairs. There's an extra shield for us there. I like to pretend that I'm in real combat and I'm try to hide from bad guys. Well they are bad guys but not like gun gun shoot shoot bad guys.

Codi and I duck down behind our shield as the bullies stomp their way onto the bus. I hold my breath. I make sure my fists are clenched and ready to swing. I make sure my bag is tucked safely under the seats so the bad guys won't try to steal anything. I'm ready for action. That action never comes.

"I guess we won that battle," I told Codi. She laughs. She knows about my love for combat and she thinks I have ADHD. Which is probably true, but I honestly don't care. I guess I've got a lot wrong with me because I'm also dyslexic. The world hates me.