Chapter Two

"Joshua Nathaniel Peterson! Amelia Rose Peterson! You better get you butts up right now or you will be late for school!" 

I woke up quickly and almost flung myself off the couch. I started running towards my room, knowing the only reason my Dad would wake us up is if we were still not up about 10 minutes before school. I only paused my running to grab Josh’s foot and start pulling him off the couch. Lucky for him, he woke up just in time to catch himself before he faceplanted into the carpet.

“What was that for?” He asked me, sending me a death glare.

“Sorry! Geez, thought you might want to actually have time to dress before school!” I said over my shoulder, still heading up the stairs towards my room. “And that’s what I get for trying to be a good sister.” I muttered quietly and chuckled.

“No! Do not pull that card; a good sister would have nicely woken me up. Not pulled me off the couch!” He scolded me. I just laughed.

I reached my room and pulled off yesterday’s clothes, replacing them with the first clean clothes I could find. It just happened to be a pair of old jeans and a cut up tee shirt that said ‘Los Angeles’ on it. Great, this is really going to wow everyone on my first day of school. Not. I also grabbed my beanie knowing I would hardly get enough time to brush my teeth, let alone do my hair, after Josh was done using the bathroom. He always took so long to get ready in the morning. I swear he is the girl twin here.

I walked out of my room and over to the bathroom. The door was locked, as I expected. “Josh!” I bellowed, pounding on the door.

“Just a minute!” He called back.

“Hurry up!” I yelled, still pounding on the door.

“Oh my god. Have a cow will you?” Josh yelled back at me. This is pretty much our normal routine. You might not guess that we are really close by how we act sometimes. We never really fight though, and we haven’t since Marina…

I pushed the thought of Marina out of my head and sat down next to the door to the bathroom. It was another few minutes until Josh opened to door and let me in.

“Finally.” I said, entering the bathroom.

I quickly brushed my teeth and threw on a bit of mascara. That was usually the extent of my makeup. You could say I’m a bit lazy. I put on my hat and arranged a few of the loose strands around my face.

I grabbed my trainers and backpack, and quickly walked downstairs. At the bottom of the stairs I slipped my shoes on, but didn’t bother tying the laces. I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a box of cereal.

“Bye, Dad.” I yelled over my shoulder, as I opened the door and grabbed my skateboard.

“Don’t you need breakfast?” He asked, poking his head out into the hallway so he could see me.

I just waved the box of cereal and continued out the door. Once I reached the sidewalk I hopped on my skateboard and opened the box of cereal, eating while I skateboarded down the street.

As I approached school I stuffed the box of cereal into my bookbag and slowed down. It looked like a normal high school. Big, flat, ugly, white buildings named after some so-called important person who hasn’t been relative for fifty years. I could see the student parking lot on the left. It was full of guys in Letterman jackets hopping out of cars or slinging their arms around girls who looked like they had face-planted in a vat of cheddar cheese powder before coming to school.

Great. I’m just gonna love it here. Not.

I hopped of my skateboard, and picked it up off the ground. I needed to find the principals office before school started so I could get my class schedule.