Chapter 1

The soft chirp of crickets was the only sound as I walked quietly through my backyard to the edge of the woods. The familiar feel of grass between my toes set me at ease. I paused to look back at my house and make sure no one had woken up, when the light from my parents’ room flicked on. I darted behind a nearby bush to avoid being caught out. I saw my mother open her window and stare at the almost full moon. She seemed peaceful, but sad almost, as she gazed across the stars. After a few minutes, I watched her close the window and turn the light off.

I cautiously stood up from behind the bush and made my way into the woods. As I walked along through the dirt and leaves, I relaxed. I’d taken this same path hundreds of times since I was 8 and he was 9. I quickened my pace to a slow run as I neared our special meeting place.

I walked into the small clearing and saw the same spot we’d been secretly meeting at for years, an old abandoned cabin surrounded by brush and fireflies. I saw the lights were on through one of the two windows in the little house. He was already there.

Adjusting the small canvas bag I had on my shoulder, I made my way to the door and banged out our secret knock. Suddenly the door flew open and I was lifted into the air by two strong, familiar arms.

“Lena, I missed you so much!” he said, swinging me back and forth in his arms.

“Put me down!” I giggled, trying to free myself. “Andrew King, you put me down right now or I will knee you where the sun don’t shine!”

I was instantly set back on the ground.

“Well that is no way to say hello to your best friend, whom I might add, you haven’t seen in two whole months,” he said mock-pouting.

“Awww I missed you Andy-bear,” I said, jutting out my lower lip.

“Whatever.” He smiled and rolled his eyes as he plopped down on his old blue beanbag chair. He pulled my red one up next to it and patted it, signaling for me to sit down. I ran over to it and flung myself down beside him. I pulled a wrapped box out of my bag.

“Would you forgive me if I said I brought you back a present from Hawaii?” I teased. I bit my lip and handed it to him, hoping he’d like it.

“Yes. Yes, I most certainly would.” He ripped the paper off and tossed in our trash can we made when I was 13. (It was a few pieces of plywood Andrew nailed together and I decorated with stickers)

He pulled a cheesy Hawaiian shirt and a drawing of his name in Hawaiian out of the box.

“Thanks, Lenny,” he said, using my childhood nickname. “I love it.” He ruffled my hair and hung up the picture of his name on the wall, since he couldn’t put it up in his room at home, or else his parents would know that I’d given it to him, which would mean we’d have seen each other, which would mean our parents would be far from happy.

Our families have been feuding for centuries. Way back when, my grandfather, Carlisle Morgan, and Andy’s grandfather, Maxwell King, got into a bit of a disagreement. Maxwell’s wife, Helena, fell in love with Carlisle. As hard as they tried to keep their relationship a secret, Maxwell discovered their affair, and was furious. The two men and their families battled it out for Helena. When Maxwell and Carlisle were fighting each other one on one, it was obvious that Sir King had the upper hand, seeing as he was of stronger build and was a more experienced fighter. In an attempt to save the man she truly loved, Helena threw herself in front of my grandfather as Maxwell thrust his weapon at Carlisle to finish him off. Helena saved my grandfather’s life, but ended her own. Carlisle was enraged that Maxwell had killed his love, but Maxwell blamed Carlisle for Helena’s death, because if he hadn’t stolen Maxwell’s wife, there would have been no fight. Confusing, I know. Thus, the King and Morgan families feuded for years and years up till now.