the one with blood purity

"There are no goodbyes for us;
Wherever you are,
you will always be in
my heart."

THAT NIGHT I MET Lucius Malfoy at the dinner table.

"Mr. Malfoy," I greeted as I walked in.
"I'm Skylar. I'm Draco's friend from school."

He stared coldly for a moment before asking, "Are you a Slytherin?"

Draco, who walked up to me, grabbed my hand lightly and squeezed it as encouragement.

"No, sir," I replied.

"Ravenclaw?" he asked as an attempt to be satisfied. I shook my head.

"Hufflepuff?" he asked with the last attempts if having no contempt towards me.

"I'm a Gryffindor, sir."

His eyes narrowed into slots as he snapped his head towards Narcissa.

"Why is Draco friends with a Gryffindor?" he asked as if it were poison.

Draco frantically looked at his mother as she scrambled out of her seat towards her husband. She locked eyes with Draco and some kind of non verbal communication happened. Draco intertwined hands with me and walked away with me out to the lawn.

Then I heard crashing of plates, angry screams of Lucius and frantic conversational phrases of Narcissa. Oh my Jesus, someone's got a horrible temper.

"I'm sorry," Draco whispered rubbing his temples as we sat by the pond in their garden.

"I get it. I'm not mad," I smiled squeezing his hand.

Lucius Malfoy was a bitch and I knew that.

"I'm so lucky," he murmured only for him to hear but I heard it anyway.

"What for?" I asked dipping my bare feet in the crystal waters.

He blushed a bit and looked the other way.

"You were not supposed to here that," he murmured.

"But I did. So explain."

"I guess I'm lucky because I have you."

I cocked my head to a side looking at him. He looked away.

"It's just, I've never had a real friend before. I never brought anyone home," he said softly. "I guess Pansy, Blaise, Theo are here because they're scared of me, you know what I'm saying? Most people would be running away by now."

I nodded feeling giddy. See why I loved him?

"I'm here to stay Draco. For the long run," I promised squeezing his hands and looking towards the moon.

"I love you, Draco. You should know that," I continued. "You're my first real friend too. And I guess we're meant to be. Because when was the last time you saw a Slytherin and Gryffindor together?"

"1423. Godric and Salazar," he repeated Hogwarts a history.

"See what I mean. We're meant to be Draco. I'll never leave you," I closed my eyes breathing in the dew.

Draco laid back and pulled me in. He wrapped his right arm around me as he squeezed me tight,both our coats radiating heat. I hugged him back, cuddling to him.

"I love you too Skylar," I heard him say last before I fell asleep.

~°~

"Skylar?" someone nudged me. I groaned and cuddled into the comforter around me.